Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 10:52 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svenhook View Post
Bringing this post back from the dead. I am considering moving to Chicago and was thinking about the Lincoln Park area. How long does it take to get from there to downtown via the L?
It depends on your definition of "downtown" and which stop you're coming from. It could take anywhere from say 7 minutes to 15 depending on your definitions.

Quote:
Also, I may have a job lined up in Lisle. How long of a commute (in traffic) would that be approximately?
It depends on what time of day. It could take awhile in traffic..Lisle is a good 25-30 miles from Lincoln Park. There is also a Metra line that runs to Lisle. That sure as hell beats sitting in traffic if the station isn't that far from the office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 11:26 AM

2 posts, read 2,784 times
Looks like the company is about a a mile north of the station on Warrenville Rd. Looks like that whole route is doable but quite the commute either way.

Any other recommendations for a young professional (Im 24 and single) that would be working in Lisle? I dont think the above commute would be that horrible but if there are other good locations that are more convenient, I'd be interested to hear about them. Open to anything!

Thanks for the quick and helpful reply!

Old 05-24-2013, 11:34 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svenhook View Post
Any other recommendations for a young professional (Im 24 and single) that would be working in Lisle? I dont think the above commute would be that horrible but if there are other good locations that are more convenient, I'd be interested to hear about them. Open to anything!
Well, this partially would depend on what your budget is for renting or whatever.

If it's a decently good budget, then I'd probably suggest the Wicker Park area only because you can bypass having to go on 90/94 like you would with Lincoln Park. You can go down Damen or Ashland avenues to I-290 which is the interstate that would take you west towards Lisle. However on I-290 there are definitely slow spots for a mile or two.

Check with your employer to see if there's any sort of shuttle or anything that may be able to take you from the metra to the job site. I hope you know that living without a car in Chicago is actually extremely normal. You may use one to get to work after all but it is easier to own a car here than a city like NYC too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago