Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 07:17 PM

4 posts, read 4,396 times

Advertisements

Relocating to my new job in Bolingbrook just off I-55.

I just found an convertible APT in Loop West on 45th floor with Sears Tower view for $1650 with parking. 1 min off the I-90 exit, so I can get on highway to work in the morning easily. And seems can get to subway within 1-10 minutes depends on the line.

Is this a good enough deal I can pull the trigger?

I'm looking to purchase a condo in downtown in couple of month and heard it's easy to sublease out the room if I find my condo within a year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 08:03 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,293,311 times
Seems a little pricey for the area, but then I'm not sure what the asking price is for a place near there once you get past, say, 7 or 8 floors. Parking alone is probably worth $200/mo around there so I guess that helps to explain the somewhat inflated price.

In terms of getting to I-55, you might be better off going down Halsted and getting on 55 at Canalport. I-90/94 from the Loop to about Cermak absolutely sucks at rush hour. But then I've never tried driving that stretch of Halsted at rush hour so maybe it's no better -- try them both out I guess. In either case, the reverse commute outbound on 55 is pretty much a cakewalk. There's a ramp closure right now on Cicero (I think?) causing backups as that practically doubles the volume of traffic lining up to get off at the next ramp (Central?) but that's a temporary situation. The inbound reverse commute isn't as trouble-free but it's still pretty easy until you get to about Damen or Ashland. But the that final couple miles can take 15 or 20 minutes. You might find some useful surface-street short cuts with practice.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:26 PM

4 posts, read 4,396 times
The rent is actually $1435/m and the parking is $215. Shall I sign into it?

I was thinking about somewhere I can get on lake shore drive, however I really don't have the time in town to looking for apartment.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:52 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,996,394 times
I would not pull the trigger til I did that drive several times - that commute is going to suck!

Old 03-27-2012, 06:26 AM

968 posts, read 2,669,461 times
Sounds like the OP is east of the expressway. I have needed to make that drive more than a a few times from a similar location , so my suggestion is :
Outbound : Take Desplaines south to Roosevelt , turn right on Roosevelt and angle on to the expressway on the Union spur - There is less traffic and fewer lights on Desplaines. stay in the right leaves on the expressway and exit for the Stevenson .. The delay on the Stevenson can be the backup at the Cicero exit , because Central is closed..Cicero was busy anyway because of Midway traffic .. Hey, the expressways are sometimes not express ..
Return - Don't exit the Stevenson and enter the quagmire on the Kennedy- Circle northbound - that's always jammed up . Exit at Cermak , and then take the right at the Chinatown/EL light, then quick left onto Clark Street .. That's usually a pretty quick trip up to Roosevelt, then take Roosevelt west over to Jefferson Northbound ..

As far as the apartment goes .. from the description , sounds like a convertible in PT .. with an upper floor premium ..all I'll say is if the OP looks a little more , they can do better on a nicer 1 bedroom in the general area for about the same price , although I hear the rental/condo rental market for the area is pretty tight right now ..

Old 03-27-2012, 12:33 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,065,681 times
Seems awfully pricey for a convertible, even a nice one.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:40 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,293,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
I would not pull the trigger til I did that drive several times - that commute is going to suck!
Actually the revere commute on 55 is relatively painless.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:13 PM

3,936 posts, read 6,852,545 times
Your commute would be better than mine! But that price does seem a little high. What floor is it on? Amenities? You should look into south loop since that will probably be cheaper.

As far as subleasing, you are probably going to have trouble at that price. But without much more details, its hard to say.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:12 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,658,907 times
Relatively is, well, relative, but he's looking at about 40-45 minutes; usually a little longer in the evenings. I wouldn't say it sucks except in the case of bad weather. That's about the same as the commute I did. A helluva lot better than having to deal with nearly any other expressway, but nothing to scoff at nonetheless.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:55 PM

968 posts, read 2,669,461 times
The Stevenson can get really interesting when you get west of Harlem ... it seems to get heavier as it behaves as an intra-suburban expressway .. some of the worst traffic I've ever hit on it is between Plainfield and 355- 294 and Harlem or Cicero ..in either direction outbound or inbound .. Plus there's always a lot of truck traffic on weekdays .. The big rigs and dump trucks start merging on around California and this picks up until you get a bit further west .. Love it !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago