Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 09:35 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,413,441 times

Advertisements

There's nothing like Cambridge in Chicago. Nothing even close. If there was, I would live there. Then again, Cambridge isn't even Cambridge anymore...

Since Boston has such the young person, academic, international atmosphere, I would probably suggest Hyde Park (near U of C) or Evanston (a suburb just North of Chicago - that includes Northwestern University). Hyde Park is more urban, and Evanston is a bit more Boston like... part of it is more suburban like Brookline, the University is there (a bit more squeaky clean) and Evanston is more diverse then most suburbs.

I would come and visit and walk around some of the North side neighborhoods. But they are just different. And that can be a good thing too. But because they don't have any Universities there, I think you will miss that vibe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 09:38 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,300,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
But because they don't have any Universities there
DePaul and Loyola are not the level of Harvard or MIT, but they are in fact well-respected universities located on the north side.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:45 PM

344 posts, read 841,849 times
sfcambridge
thanks. yes, i was just using it as a point of reference. i was just looking for that feelgoodness and level of sophistocation. i guess it leads to my next wonder. do egos tend to be hyper delicate in chicago? i'm laughing yet wondering. are people so easily threatened by things that a person has not done nor said, and even if i did say them, they have no more meaning than one assigns? unbelievable. but really, would you say that people tend to have a strong sense of self. i'm a philly native. that happens to be characteristic there, whereas its not on oh say places like FL, MD, and others

Old 03-24-2012, 09:48 PM

i am coming to chicago very soon and i do plan on checking out much of the northside, thus the reason of this thread, to help narrow down where to check out
thanks again for all of the suggestions

Old 03-24-2012, 10:03 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,300,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpent_of_old View Post
sfcambridge
thanks. yes, i was just using it as a point of reference. i was just looking for that feelgoodness and level of sophistocation. i guess it leads to my next wonder. do egos tend to be hyper delicate in chicago? i'm laughing yet wondering. are people so easily threatened by things that a person has not done nor said, and even if i did say them, they have no more meaning than one assigns? unbelievable. but really, would you say that people tend to have a strong sense of self. i'm a philly native. that happens to be characteristic there, whereas its not on oh say places like FL, MD, and others
Nah, I'd say that's mostly a city-data thing. You'll be fine here.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:05 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
i did not expect anyone on here to be so sensitive about a harmless question
peoples emotions...smh...prevents you from seeing the forrest
lets try again, at the risk of repeating myself
and please, control freaks, contain yourselves
or, i'll reword it. i can see how the wording was SO confusing
which areas in chicago
does not have the same history as boston
nor grid plan
nor a million other things i NEVER mentioned
but have the same vibe as the places i did mention

give the egos and whatever you have riding on this, a lethal injection
Ah, the irony.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:43 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,413,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
DePaul and Loyola are not the level of Harvard or MIT, but they are in fact well-respected universities located on the north side.
Sorry, yes you are right. I may have misunderstood... thought they were the colleges only, and that the graduate schools/University sides were elsewhere. For people looking for the Cambridge/University vibe, it usually includes a lot of graduate students/professional students/internationals with that quirky and geeky intellectual and artistic character etc... Perhaps that exists on Chicago's North side near Loyola to some degree, but nah.... who am I kidding? Not really. Maybe that area has a little bit of Brookline.... or near Boston College feel....

Then again to the OP, Brookline is not really like Cambridge, so your question is pretty vague.

For the OP, there is no place like Boston/Cambridge, and you wont find anything close to it here. Or honestly, anywhere in the world. However, Chicago makes Boston appear nearly provincial in everything outside of the academic arena. Chicago is a city, which makes Boston appears as a town. The culture offerings here are incredible, with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and Lyric Opera, Joeffrey Ballet, Art Institute/many many museums, the most incredible free summer music/dance festivals as well as Lollapalooza, fabulous Jazz/Blues/House/club music, serious and avant guarde Theater that arguably surpasses NYC in quality, amazing architecture, world class cuisine (much improved...), gorgeous lake shore that feels like you are on the ocean, diversity.... I guess Boston and Chicago share some political corruption/mafia colors, but I think we gottcha beat on that one too. Unfortunately.

And yes, of course. Like anywhere, people are sensitive about where they are from. But Chicago is more friendly in general then Boston. Boston is definitely more arrogant, but simply in an East coast sort of way. Sometimes I miss people that are a little more ... blunt.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:00 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
i did not expect anyone on here to be so sensitive about a harmless question
peoples emotions...smh...prevents you from seeing the forrest
lets try again, at the risk of repeating myself
and please, control freaks, contain yourselves
or, i'll reword it. i can see how the wording was SO confusing
which areas in chicago
does not have the same history as boston
nor grid plan
nor a million other things i NEVER mentioned
but have the same vibe as the places i did mention

give the egos and whatever you have riding on this, a lethal injection
Jeez, I give you reasonable answers and then you have to complain about how i answered them. If that's your attitude, next time you want an answer, use Google.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:43 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
To be honest, I think the original question is too general and that was the initial issue that people have with it. I don't think anything about it had to do with emotions.

For example - What parts of Cambridge are you talking about? Harvard Square, East Cambridge, Central Square, Inman Square, etc.? Cambridge has become much more homogeneous over the last 20-30 years, but each area still has it's own strengths and weaknesses, and the same is true of neighborhoods in Chicago. More details of what you're looking for (like types of bars, restaurants, coffee shops, concerts) would be helpful.

If by "sophisticated" and "geeky" people mean academic, then Evanston and Hyde Park are your best bet. In general most Northside neighborhoods along the Red line, and Northwest side neighborhoods along Blue line have a predominant population of college educated professionals or students. Some are closer to Back Bay in nature, others closer to Jamaica Plain or Somerville. There's plenty of "sophisticated" or "geeky" in all of them. Hell, I just got back from Cole's in Logan Square and had a long discussion with people I randomly met about open source geographic web frameworks. I think that qualifies as geeky

More details on what you are looking for for housing and what you want to do in your free time would help to narrow down areas to recommend.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:45 AM

???
lets see
i never used the word geeky
i was very clear
'where can i get any of that feel in Chicago?
both neighborhood and social vibe'
-social vibe
-feel

you guys all must be code writers for software lol
not facets such as universities, bars, and other things that can be quantified and measured
thanks anyways guys
have a great weekend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago