Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 03:55 AM

1 posts, read 5,478 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry if this seems like a dumb question but here it goes.... I am moving to Chicago from Phoenix with my husband and young daughter. We have decided to rent a small house for a year while we get to know our way around the city. We found a house that we like but the garage is at the back of the home in an alleyway. The alley is only accessible from one end so it is essentially a two way street with room for only one car to pass. The thought of having to back down the alley when someone else is coming is very intimidating. Although it seems silly to give up such a great house over something like this. Is there a system or method to alley driving? Since they don't get plowed will we be snowed in? Would it be better to park on the street and use the garage for storage? Of course street parking means I will have to learn to parallel park. I have been driving for 15 years (1 speeding ticket 10 years ago and 0 accidents) and I have never ever had to parallel park except when I took my drivers test. The thought of driving in the city is giving me hives. I'm sure I sound crazy but driving in Chicago is so different from the wide and spacious Arizona roads. Thank you for the help...and not laughing too hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 07:49 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
One just drives down the alley -- only rarely will a person have to back down. If there are two cars in the alley at the same time, one either moves to the side or backs to let the other one out first. The alley also will get plowed after a snow storm but it is a low priority.

Try to time your comings and goings so they do not intersect with the garbage truck emptying dumpsters in the alley. Garbage trucks are very hesitant to move to let someone out of their garage.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:08 AM

367 posts, read 917,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuchess View Post
The thought of driving in the city is giving me hives. I'm sure I sound crazy but driving in Chicago is so different from the wide and spacious Arizona roads.
I'm just the opposite. I despise long straight roads now. I remember when I would enjoy it once upon a time. Just been in Chicago too long now I guess. I could cruise around the city all day.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:18 PM

17 posts, read 29,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuchess View Post
I'm sorry if this seems like a dumb question but here it goes.... I am moving to Chicago from Phoenix with my husband and young daughter. We have decided to rent a small house for a year while we get to know our way around the city. We found a house that we like but the garage is at the back of the home in an alleyway. The alley is only accessible from one end so it is essentially a two way street with room for only one car to pass. The thought of having to back down the alley when someone else is coming is very intimidating. Although it seems silly to give up such a great house over something like this. Is there a system or method to alley driving? Since they don't get plowed will we be snowed in? Would it be better to park on the street and use the garage for storage? Of course street parking means I will have to learn to parallel park. I have been driving for 15 years (1 speeding ticket 10 years ago and 0 accidents) and I have never ever had to parallel park except when I took my drivers test. The thought of driving in the city is giving me hives. I'm sure I sound crazy but driving in Chicago is so different from the wide and spacious Arizona roads. Thank you for the help...and not laughing too hard.

lol! may i ask exactly what part of the city you are moving too?

Old 03-11-2012, 01:58 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
If you like the house otherwise, go for it. You might want to practice backing a little before you're forced into it. You're only talking about a one-year rental. It might be different if you were buying....

Old 03-11-2012, 07:02 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
if the alley is a dead end, there probably aren't many cars that will be coming down it, and the chances of actually running into another car coming at you are very slim. If it's really THAT thin that two cars can't pass each other, I'm assuming the car turning into the alley will pause if he sees you trying to exit out onto the street.

Having to drive down an alley to park is the LAST reason I would pass on getting a house. I'm not sure why you'd ever be backing down an alley.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:09 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,165,569 times
After a large snow event what happens is the larger vehicles/big SUV's/trucks drive in the alley and pack the snow down, then all I do is shovel the small area in front of my garage door. Then I can get out and down the alley even in my little Civic.

Regarding two cars in the alley at the same time, don't even worry abt it, everyone works around each other, it's never an issue. Believe it or not, two cars going in opposite directions can pass in the alley, but one of the vehicles has to pull tight against a garage while the other goes around. Really, don't worry abt it.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:11 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,165,569 times
Rare things come up... like the time I was leaving to have Christmas with the family in the suburbs and we had so much snow some a**hole abandoned his/her car right in front of my garage door preventing me from getting out of my garage. Idiot.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:31 PM

732 posts, read 2,981,525 times
Really not a big deal. Please don't honk incessantly to announce your presence like a lot of idiots in this city. Just slow and yield at all the intersections and you should be fine.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:39 PM

483 posts, read 1,222,060 times
I don't see how having to move would be intimidating. Either you back out which is not usually necessary, because you can squeeze up against someone's garage while the other person goes through. I usually go by whoever is already driving down the alley has the right of way. If someone is just turning into the alley and you're coming down, just keep going and they will move.

Alleys are a part of Chicago and it would be foolish to turn a place down because of it. I don't "honk incessantly", but if there is a blind corner in an alley sometimes I will tap my horn ever so slightly.

You'll get used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago