Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 08:48 PM

21 posts, read 125,134 times

Advertisements

take the train!

but seriously, it shouldn't be a reason to give up the house if you really like it. you'd be surprised at how quickly you get used to things like that.

but also seriously, take the train if you can. in some parts of the city driving can be so frustrating and the train cuts through that...not that the train isn't frustrating at times, too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 10:21 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,199,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepreacherswife View Post
Really not a big deal. Please don't honk incessantly to announce your presence like a lot of idiots in this city. Just slow and yield at all the intersections and you should be fine.
You're gonna end up killing some little kid for not honking.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:50 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
You're gonna end up killing some little kid for not honking.
I agree. I always honked and I think it's clearly the right thing to do. A real short beep -- no reason to hold your hand on it of course.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:54 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I agree. I always honked and I think it's clearly the right thing to do. A real short beep -- no reason to hold your hand on it of course.
Speaking as someone who has lived at a T intersection for 10 years, I say DO NOT HONK, simply drive slowly and highten your awareness at the blind intersection and everything will be fine. People honk way too much in alleys, as if it's gonns stop someone barreling around the corner at 20 mph - basically this person's gonna cause an accident regardless of the honk. The rest of us, who slow down to a crawl and take the blind corner cautiously will not cause an accident and a honk will not change anything.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:38 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
After a large snow event what happens is the larger vehicles/big SUV's/trucks drive in the alley and pack the snow down, then all I do is shovel the small area in front of my garage door. Then I can get out and down the alley even in my little Civic.

Regarding two cars in the alley at the same time, don't even worry abt it, everyone works around each other, it's never an issue. Believe it or not, two cars going in opposite directions can pass in the alley, but one of the vehicles has to pull tight against a garage while the other goes around. Really, don't worry abt it.
My alley story: We had a garage on the corner of an alley. During one of the *big snows,* the garbage trucks plowed Up the alley and piled all the snow in front of our garage so we could not get the cars out. If they had come in the other entrance to the alley, they would have been plowing down the alley and not ended up in front of anyone's garage.

We actually had to call the city and have them bring in front loaders to take the snow out. We could not get the cars out for almost two weeks.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:21 AM

732 posts, read 2,981,525 times
Quote:
Speaking as someone who has lived at a T intersection for 10 years, I say DO NOT HONK, simply drive slowly and highten your awareness at the blind intersection and everything will be fine. People honk way too much in alleys, as if it's gonns stop someone barreling around the corner at 20 mph - basically this person's gonna cause an accident regardless of the honk. The rest of us, who slow down to a crawl and take the blind corner cautiously will not cause an accident and a honk will not change anything.
This.
I actually come to a dead stop at the end of the alley before going across the sidewalk/parkway and into the street. The dodos I see honking use it as an excuse to not slow down and look, as if to announce to the world, "I'm blowing through here at 20 mph and really don't want to slow down, so FU if you get in my way."

Old 03-12-2012, 11:53 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,135,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepreacherswife View Post
This.
I actually come to a dead stop at the end of the alley before going across the sidewalk/parkway and into the street. The dodos I see honking use it as an excuse to not slow down and look, as if to announce to the world, "I'm blowing through here at 20 mph and really don't want to slow down, so FU if you get in my way."
I slow down to almost complete stop and I honk my horn. Better safe than sorry. One time I had a brain fart and didn't honk and almost ran over a little dog. Thankfully saw the little fella as he darted across my path and was able to stop.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:23 PM

725 posts, read 3,014,631 times
Does the honking vary by neighborhood? When I lived on the northside I would still honk even though I was exiting slowly, and I noticed this was common practice. I'm in the south loop now and my alley way has mid/high rise on the left and right so I can't see pedestrians nor cars until I'm peeking out - I honk most of the time, but notice that nobody else really does it in this area.

I would have to agree with quigboto that it is more of a precaution rather than announcing I'm an ***hole. I can't see you anymore than you can see me through walls. But I'm the one who has the horn.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:17 PM

483 posts, read 1,222,060 times
Quote:
Disagree. I've been coming down an alley with a blind T, hit my horn, got another honk back and stopped- when I couldn't see the other vehicle yet. This has happened on multiple occasions. It's understandable that you dislike the honking because you live right next to it, but it's a common, and good, practice.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:19 PM

483 posts, read 1,222,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nginmyheart View Post
I'm in the south loop now and my alley way has mid/high rise on the left and right so I can't see pedestrians nor cars until I'm peeking out - I honk most of the time, but notice that nobody else really does it in this area.
Because most people in the South Loop are yuppie transplants from the suburbs or surrounding areas where they don't have alleys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago