Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2012, 03:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,949 times

Advertisements

We are family with 2 small kids and potentially relocating to Lincoln park from Florida. We found a great rental, but it is in the Mayer school zone. I am having a hard time finding information about this school. Is this a decent school? Greatschool.org has it a rating of 4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 08:46 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
There are better performing schools. I would rely less on those sites where any joker can weigh in on how wonderful / crappy a school is a stick to the object data compiled for the Illinois Interactive Report Cards hosted by NIU.

If you are serious about relocating to Chicago with kids probably worth paying the fee to join the npn site for more current and serious discussions.

I'd not let the boosterism of some blind you to the fact that CPS are very odd -- a handful of really high performing schools for those who know how the Byzantine system of selective enrollment works, some decent neighborhood schools that still screen out the most able students for special treatment, loads of horribly underprepared students with near zero chance of success make some schools downright depressing...

Lincoln Pak is generally accepted to be THE most costly non-high rise part of Chicago and I would be more than a little skeptical about a "really great rental" seen only online. Even if it is not a scam there is a high probablabilty that it has some glaring flaws that anyone would notice in person -- over the hpharabage bin if a seafood resturant, surrounding by hospital ER with constant sirens, poor / no access to parking, and a whole host of very UN-family friendly apartments burn Internet apartment hunters...

If you have unlimited resources living in Chicago with kids can be wonderful, but for a huge percentage of those with school age children the costs are out of line with the benefits. The city government and CPS seem to care far less about this reality than extracting revenue from every source to keep its ancient patronage / pension plans limping along. Even a very comfortable salary in other parts of the region quickly gets swallowed by the high costs associated with city living.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:58 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
She said "great rental" and by no means mentioned the price -- perhaps she means great in that it looks gorgeous or exactly fits their requirements. Calm down.

OP, there is certainly some boosterism here, but as you'll also discover a lot of unecesssary Debbie Downers who don't even live in the city.

I'll leave the school help to those who know better, but be assured that LP is a great neighborhood. All the best!

Old 02-21-2012, 09:43 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,573,940 times
classic chet, why not just control-v a "move to DuPage County" post?

Last edited by Aleking; 02-21-2012 at 10:35 AM..

Old 02-21-2012, 10:22 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,440,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
There are better performing schools. I would rely less on those sites where any joker can weigh in on how wonderful / crappy a school is a stick to the object data compiled for the Illinois Interactive Report Cards hosted by NIU.

If you are serious about relocating to Chicago with kids probably worth paying the fee to join the npn site for more current and serious discussions.

I'd not let the boosterism of some blind you to the fact that CPS are very odd -- a handful of really high performing schools for those who know how the Byzantine system of selective enrollment works, some decent neighborhood schools that still screen out the most able students for special treatment, loads of horribly underprepared students with near zero chance of success make some schools downright depressing...

Lincoln Pak is generally accepted to be THE most costly non-high rise part of Chicago and I would be more than a little skeptical about a "really great rental" seen only online. Even if it is not a scam there is a high probablabilty that it has some glaring flaws that anyone would notice in person -- over the hpharabage bin if a seafood resturant, surrounding by hospital ER with constant sirens, poor / no access to parking, and a whole host of very UN-family friendly apartments burn Internet apartment hunters...

If you have unlimited resources living in Chicago with kids can be wonderful, but for a huge percentage of those with school age children the costs are out of line with the benefits. The city government and CPS seem to care far less about this reality than extracting revenue from every source to keep its ancient patronage / pension plans limping along. Even a very comfortable salary in other parts of the region quickly gets swallowed by the high costs associated with city living.
That's it? No more unrelated things to complain about this morning? You're going soft.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:35 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,253,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
classic chet, why not just control-v a "more to DuPage County" post?
Ah, this is so true; it elicited a chortle from me.

I award you two internet points, good sir.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:55 PM

3,918 posts, read 6,829,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenabella View Post
We are family with 2 small kids and potentially relocating to Lincoln park from Florida. We found a great rental, but it is in the Mayer school zone. I am having a hard time finding information about this school. Is this a decent school? Greatschool.org has it a rating of 4.
I live in lincoln Park. I cant say much about the School Districts because I am only 23 myself, but there seem to be quite a few families in the area and there a lot of 20 something as well. The area is amazing, very beautiful and safe. Sorry I cant help with the school district thing.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:10 PM

537 posts, read 1,034,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
That's it? No more unrelated things to complain about this morning? You're going soft.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:25 PM

17 posts, read 29,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenabella View Post
why not move to englewood? its a nice neighborhood. it has its ups and downs. but what neighborhood doesnt? you can get a home at a fair price. your neighbors are pretty pleasant. very welcoming area!

Old 03-01-2012, 07:37 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,913,630 times
For those who are not from around here, the above message is an unkind prank. Englewood is the worst slum in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago