Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2007, 04:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,347 times

Advertisements

I Am An American Airline Employee... Divorced White Female Age 40 And Am Needing To Get Out Of Dallas. I Want To Relocate To Chicago But Have No Clue About Where To Go Or Anything About The Housing.. Heard Of Two Flats/ Three Flats??? Maybe Someone Can Help. I Need To Be In A Location Close To The El As I Will Have No Car And Will Need To Travel To Ohare Daily. Looking To Pay 700 And Under Monthly. Does Anyone Know The State Tax Percent There? We Have No State Tax Here So That Will Be An Added Expense For Me. Would Like To Be Near Grocery And Have The Accessibility To Coffee Shops And Night Life Or At Least Be An El Ride Away. Safe Neighbor Hood Please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 10:00 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,872,636 times
You want to live close to the Blue Line subway. It's the line that goes directly into O'Hare. For what you want to spend, look into the Cumberland stop (Cumberland and Higgins). This is the northwest corner of the city and many airline personnel live in this area. Another good area for you would be Jefferson Park. It's also on the NW side of the city, but a few miles east of Cumberland and Higgins. Another area would be Montrose and Cicero. There is a Blue Line stop located on Montrose, just a few blocks west of Cicero. Use the zip codes of 60656 and 60630 as your guide for research.

2 flats and 3 flats are small apartment buildings with either 2 or 3 apartments. They are walk ups and many times, the owner of the building will reside in one of the apartments. The buidlings are usually brick and older, but many owners rehab the interior apartments. My family owns some of these. Since they are older, they typically have large living rooms, seperate good sized dining rooms and smaller kitchens and bedrooms, with 1 full bath. There will be a backyard and a garage that are usually for the owner's use if he or she live there. If they don't, the renters can use the backyard and rent the garage if need be. The nice thing about renting in a 2 or 3 flat is that unlike condos, there aren't any amenties so the rents tend to be less. Once things like elevators, pools, party rooms, etc. come into play, rents go up.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:47 PM

124 posts, read 413,747 times
I've heard Bridgeport is a good area I heard you dont even need a car to live there its walking distance to just about everything for your daily needs its in the city and I know someone who rents a 2 bedroom flat for $700 Im not sure of the area but I've heard its good as long as you stay in that area.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:29 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,099,975 times
Leaving AZ -- Bridgeport is not convenient to Ohare at at all, it isn't even on the right el (subway) line. The advice lisak64 gave is pretty good. However, I would suggest though if she was looking for nightlife and an area of the city that is a bit denser, that she move further south of Jefferson Park, that area isn't really known for its hopping nightlife, if you know what I mean.

However, the areas lisa suggested are going to make getting to work a breeze, as they are very close to o'hare and right by the 'el' that will take you right into the airport.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,115 times
There is a Blue Line stop located on Montrose, just a few blocks west of Cicero. (lisak64)
Actually, the Blue line is east of Cicero on Montrose, but if you need to be close to a grocery store as well as the Blue line, I suggest going 6 blocks further to the Irving Park area, where there is a major grocery store just east of Cicero (Jewel). The store is a block or so east of Cicero, with the Blue line a few blocks east of that. There are many two or three flats in that area, as well as rehabbed buildings turned into condos.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:42 PM

391 posts, read 1,304,758 times
Dude, this thread is over 5 months old......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago