Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 08:58 AM

77 posts, read 152,424 times

Advertisements

I'm from the Chicago suburbs, and lived in the city itself last year. Now I live in Minneapolis, and while I miss some things about Chicago, I don't miss the lack of green space. When I lived there, I always felt so disconnected from nature. When I would take the Metra to visit friends and family in Batavia, I always got the feeling that I had been holding my breath. Seeing the Fox River and all of the trees and flowers, I would realize how disconnected I had been from nature while living in Chicago.

I lived in Bucktown, home to the small Holstein Park, and eventually started spending more time in Humboldt Park just to take a break from all of the concrete. How can Chicago add more greenspace? I've always thought that the Chicago River, once you leave downtown, is an underutilized resource. I'd like to see a riverwalk put in and maybe some nicer, more bike friendly bridges someday. Anyone have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 09:09 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times
Last I checked there is a massive park and a huge body of water to the east side of the City.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:17 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,373,467 times
The proposed Millennium Reserve is a good start:
Chicago to Build Biggest Urban Park in the Lower 48 States : TreeHugger

I do know what you mean about realizing how you have been missing greenery, once you get back to it. But the lake does scratch that "itch" for me, personally (and the parks along the lake, as Vlajos said). Also, we're in Beverly now and really like all the little "pocket parks" all over the place, not to mention the Dan Ryan Woods. So, there are green places around, and it sounds like more are on the way.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:05 AM

77 posts, read 152,424 times
I did read about the Millennium Reserve. In my understanding, I thought that it was still a proposal awaiting confirmation. I hope it goes through though, maybe it will get more people down to the Southern edge of the city. And maybe it will bring more impetus to extend the red line down there as well.

Of course I haven't forgotten the lake, but I don't think that solves Chicago's greenspace problem. Chicago is a huge city, and only the far Eastern edge borders the lake and its corresponding parks. Living in Bucktown, Logan Square, Albany Park, etc, the lake is a long bus ride or a traffic congested bike ride away. Is there a way for greenspace to become a part of every neighborhood?

Old 02-08-2012, 11:09 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
I wonder if this stuff works: 'Green' experiment at City Hall stinks - Chicago Sun-Times | HighBeam Research

Old 02-08-2012, 11:39 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,883,929 times
Many people are thinking along similar lines in terms of adding green space:

Our Four Initiatives — Chicago Wilderness

Old 02-08-2012, 11:58 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,514,451 times
Well, according to this article, there's supposed to be 2 acres of parkland per 1,000 residents, but that's not the case.

Cityscapes: Cramped Chicago: Half of the city's 2.7 million people live in park-poor areas; lakefront's parkland disguises severe shortage in many inland neighborhoods

The Forest Preserve District of Cook County is the "largest urban conservation preserve system in the nation" with 68,000+ acres, some which are within the city itself. So that's something.

As for more inner-city neighborhoods, I don't envision there ever being a huge place that allows you to escape the fact you're in Chicago, but there abandoned lots all over the place that could be converted to little parks here and there to add some extra green.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:05 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,109,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERS-One View Post
Well, according to this article, there's supposed to be 2 acres of parkland per 1,000 residents, but that's not the case.

Cityscapes: Cramped Chicago: Half of the city's 2.7 million people live in park-poor areas; lakefront's parkland disguises severe shortage in many inland neighborhoods

The Forest Preserve District of Cook County is the "largest urban conservation preserve system in the nation" with 68,000+ acres, some which are within the city itself. So that's something.

As for more inner-city neighborhoods, I don't envision there ever being a huge place that allows you to escape the fact you're in Chicago, but there abandoned lots all over the place that could be converted to little parks here and there to add some extra green.
I don't see the problem with taking a bus or train to one of the many, huge, beautiful parks or forest preserves that can be easily accessed in this city.

I'd definitely be in favor of making many of the smaller parks more people-friendly and useful than the patch of grass/softball field and basketball court (particularly when the softball fields are not often used) and create/enhance smaller squares within the neighborhoods. But if you think it necessary to live nearby a major park, move to a neighborbood that's near one. There's plenty of options at all different price points.

Clearly, not all residents place a premium on being by a major park. I don't see why Chicago should take away any tax-revenue generating economically productive land to create more parks, when the state of existing neighborhoods near some of these parks show proximity to parkland it is not as valued as people perceive.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:51 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,445,071 times
Chicago has areas with lots of green space and areas with little. If someone wants green space and chooses to live in an area without much, that's their fault.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:17 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,883,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Clearly, not all residents place a premium on being by a major park. I don't see why Chicago should take away any tax-revenue generating economically productive land to create more parks, when the state of existing neighborhoods near some of these parks show proximity to parkland it is not as valued as people perceive.
I've seen stats showing that green space increases property values, and anecdotally, that makes perfect sense - look at the gentrified neighborhoods, they all have pretty decent parks and open space. The exceptions to that rule - Logan Square being a good one - are full of people actively campaigning for solutions.

People here might not remember that Oz Park used to be a fraction of its current size - when they razed a block of Webster Ave to expand it, it definitely got notice. The created Jonquil Park at Lincoln, Sheffield and Wrightwood in the early 80s, and it also attracted development.

But the real value is not so much financial, as it is in terms of alleviating stress and building better relationships in communities. Almost all parks have neighborhood groups which volunteer to help clean and run programs, festivals, concerts, etc. And then there's the importance of trees for pollution control, and grass/dirt in general to absorb rainwater so our basements are less likely to flood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago