Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 11:36 AM

211 posts, read 947,423 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are located on the end of our block and are having a big problem with neighbors dumping their trash in our bins. They are always overloaded with trash all over the place and we have a rat problem due to it. I've been contacting the alderman and the city and they are doing nothing (we were fined $500 before for trash). The alderman's office says we should bring them in our yard but since we already have a rat problem and it would be a pain to bring those in and out every week for trash day I do not think that is an option. We also have a very small yard and I do not care to have 5 bins taking up what little yard we have as well as the smell that would come from them. We are a two flat and have renters. Our trash bins are full within two days of being emptied even when we and renters are out of town. We also have been having Christmas trees dumped back there even though neither us or renters had one. Any ideas of what we can do? We put a "no dumping" sign which has not helped at all. It has become very frustrating and disgusting.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:55 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,165,755 times
Our association was fined over $1,500 in 2008 because of a similar problem. I wish I had useful ideas for you, but unfortunately the City seems to pretend such problems simply don't exist.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:05 PM

438 posts, read 1,698,985 times
Can you chain your bins shut and just make sure all tenants in your building have a key? That is what our old condo building did when we lived there because of the same thing...the only thing is the company that picks up needs to have a key

Old 01-10-2012, 12:29 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,689,161 times
Quone them.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:07 PM

209 posts, read 590,063 times
Locks and chains are your only option. My condo building has had the same problem. Our habitual dumper lived behind the alley from us, but he died, so it's not really an issue anymore. We discussed locks and chains as a solution while the problem was ongoing, but other residents didn't want them, due to the hassle. But we had no other solution to stop it from happening.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:20 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,208,408 times
Is this just normal trash being put in your trash cans or large items/construction debris? If it's normal trash you should check the alley around your house for houses that don't have trash cans out, or multi-unit buildings that aren't paying for a dumpster. They could be the source of all the trash, and reporting a multi-unit building or making sure everyone has enough trash cans could help. Calling the alderman for extra trash cans for offending neighbors can definitely help. It's a lot harder to stop if it's random drive by dumping.

Other than that you have to either lock them or bring them in, that's the only way to be sure you stop it. The city will do something if they catch someone, but the cops aren't about to start doing stake outs for illegal dumping.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:09 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Is this just normal trash being put in your trash cans or large items/construction debris? If it's normal trash you should check the alley around your house for houses that don't have trash cans out, or multi-unit buildings that aren't paying for a dumpster. They could be the source of all the trash, and reporting a multi-unit building or making sure everyone has enough trash cans could help. Calling the alderman for extra trash cans for offending neighbors can definitely help. It's a lot harder to stop if it's random drive by dumping.

Other than that you have to either lock them or bring them in, that's the only way to be sure you stop it. The city will do something if they catch someone, but the cops aren't about to start doing stake outs for illegal dumping.
If you are willing to spend $60.00 or more go to your local WalMart sporting goods center or Walmart.com. Search for a trail camera, game camera or web camera. The game and trail cameras usually have Infrared night vision capabilities and proximity sensors. The cheaper ones start at around $50.00 and the sky is the limit for the best ones. Even the cheap ones can be set up to take pictures of the offending dumpers.

I have Logitech Web cams monitoring my garage but they are hardwired to my computer. My Logitech C-160 Cost less than $20.00 but it is strictly for indoor use. It would probably be good outside until you had a rain but for $20 it might be worth catching the culprits. An outdoor webcam with a wireless signal would probably work and be less than $50.

Good Luck
GL2

Old 01-10-2012, 02:16 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,165,755 times
Having video evidence may get you out of a ticket (if it's worth going to court and fighting for you), but it probably won't be very high on the prosecutor's stack of things to prosecute, and it might be hard to know who it is you see in the video.

Also, chains will prevent the bin from being filled up with other people's garbage, but they won't prevent the city from ticketing you if people place trash next to your bin.

It is a vexing issue.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:41 PM

3,918 posts, read 6,829,377 times
Might I suggest you go throw your garbage away in another neighbors can?

lol. No other solution options that others haven't mentioned.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:55 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,432,191 times
Yeah, you have a real problem here, without a good solution.

You can lock the bins, but the offender will just drop the plastic bags next to your bins, making the rat problem worse, and opening you up to more fines.

Same problem if you bring your bins inside. The offender will just drop the plastic bags where your bins usually sit.

You can videocam all you want - what are you going to do with the fuzzy pictures? Maybe if they are clear enough you can post them on your block with a caption - "DO YOU KNOW THIS PERSON? HE IS A TRASH THIEF"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago