Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 09:16 PM

190 posts, read 405,368 times

Advertisements

It was 2 different knees one went out and then about 3 months later the other knee went out which apparently is fairly typical. This was about 3 years ago and zero issues since. My other dog had her surgery about 2 yrs ago and no issues and her other knee never went out. The dog that had both knees repaired is also quite athletic. Having both knees done at the same time will be a lot of work, for you. They cannot do stairs, very short walks, only for potty. Basically extremely restricted for 12 weeks. It was long but so worth it.

Dr Averill is at Animal Emergency in Northbrook. He is known as one of the 2 best in the area for this surgery. The other is at the Buffalo Grove clinic. I know a lot of people who have had this surgery and everyone either uses Dr Averill or the other doc in Buffalo Grove.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 01:32 PM

30 posts, read 90,585 times
Thanks! Do you have the name of the vet in Buffalo Grove? And, why do you say these are the two best vets? I hope you don't mind my asking. Track records and recovery times -- this is 90% of the battle. The other 10% I hope to have paid off by the time this pup finds infinity...

Old 12-06-2011, 02:15 PM

190 posts, read 405,368 times
It is just his reputation. Dr Dann at Blum is my vet and he really is the best vet in Chicago (multiple local awards) and he highly recommends him. There are not a lot of ortho surgeons in the area because it is such a specialized area. Most people use Dr Averill that I know. The other is Dr. Robbins at Veterinary Specialty Center in Buffalo Grove. I personally would choose Dr Averill though and have used 4 times. I just saw Dr Robbins for another reason, he was going to remove a tumor from my dog's mouth but turns out surgery is just not an option unfortunately.

You have to go with your gut though. I have more of relationship with Dr Averill and trust him. He is in high demand and rightfully so. I am a bit obsessive about the care my dogs get and would not hesitate to use him again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago