Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2011, 06:03 AM

4 posts, read 17,326 times

Advertisements

It is judgemental & stereotypical etc. but if you meet someone at a party & they say they live in lincoln Park, Old town or River North/Streeterville (ie-gold coast primarily) what do you 'think' of them? What are your automatic judgements? There is only so much research I can find about the actual real estate vs. really living there so would appreciate any feedback.

When you meet someone from LP do you think they are more of a conformist? or if you meet someone on the gold coast do you think they are better dressed?

Im looking at these shools: Old Town/Lincoln Park-Lincoln Elementary and Gold Coast-Ogden Elementary.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 06:22 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
Both are good schools, I don't think it makes a difference between those neighborhoods. Both are nice. Just find a a place you like. Good luck!

Old 11-25-2011, 07:46 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
I generally don't give much thought to where some one I meet at a social function says they live. OTOH if they were shopping for a "move-up" property and they wanted to stay within the boundaries if the area the relative "richness" of offerings would be a factor.

Lincoln Park has wider range of apartments, townhome style developments and single family that either Old Town or River North. You might have to spend a bit more "to get in" but the options for longer term choice are greater.

River North has a rather limited selection of family oriented housing, and that tends to make it rather heavy with those either starting out or unlikely to have children. Things are not as stratified in Old Town, but neither is there the range of options in Lincoln Park...

If those sorts of things are important to you it is good know, and not something that you can easily pick-up based on price or apartment configuration.

Old 11-25-2011, 07:50 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,936,800 times
I tend to think of people who live in River North and Old Town as older, and also Lincoln Park too, although this might not be true. I do not think there would be much difference in dress, etc, or anyother distinguishing feature. Generally the younger trendier folk which I am not, do not live in these areas. I am generalizing a bit here.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:41 AM

3 posts, read 10,140 times
All great neighborhoods, and you can't go wrong with any of them. Lincoln Park, while has both young and old, it can be a bit loud around the main streets with all the bars, and DePaul house parties, etc.

My Perception: Educated, successful white-collar workers.

Old 11-25-2011, 03:56 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,061,630 times
LP = either yuppy family or post-college frat tards

Old Town = Older crowd, some families, some weirdo artists.

River North = Want to be glam, living in a highrise and go to nice restaurants/bars.

These are fairly untrue stereotypes though. And also GoldCoast and river north are pretty different vibes in my opinion despite close proximity.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:28 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,491,545 times
My first thought would be that if any of the three neighborhoods are mentioned ... the person earns a good living. They're amongst the most affluent/expensive neighborhoods to rent/own. Each has the broad range of age demographics. I don't think, however, where one lives ... as if that's anybody's business ... is something people consider when judging your abilities or personality.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:28 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,036,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
LP = either yuppy family or post-college frat tards

Old Town = Older crowd, some families, some weirdo artists.

River North = Want to be glam, living in a highrise and go to nice restaurants/bars.

These are fairly untrue stereotypes though. And also GoldCoast and river north are pretty different vibes in my opinion despite close proximity.
Just curious Jandur, where do you live?

Old 11-28-2011, 08:23 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,615,463 times
Lincoln Park -- assuming you don't look 19, I'd assume you are a preppy, well off and like walkable neighborhoods.

Old Town -- Pretty much the same thing as Lincoln Park to me

River North -- I would be thinking "God, don't the tourists annoy you after a while?" Also "Damn, your HOA fee is probably stupid high."

Old 11-28-2011, 08:31 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,164,606 times
Lincoln Park - dumb frat dude/sorority chick

Old town - rich, well dressed, gay

River North/Streeterville - mega-rich, probably President of a large bank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: