Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 08:29 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,955,921 times

Advertisements

In regards to the Thread I started a few weeks ago, what are everyone's thoughts on Roscoe Village? I met with my Realtor for breakfast this morning, and she has a few places in Roscoe Village (Roscoe and Ravenswood, I think) that she thinks I might like. I have only been in that neighborhood once, but my first impression was that, while a nice area, it was a bit sleepy for me. I dont want to sacrafice location for a nicer place, but if my impressions of the neighborhood are off, I would like to get peoples opinion.

The rough boundaries I gave my realtor were:
South: North Ave
North: Addison
East: Lake
West: Southport

My preference was to be more Southeast due to proximity to the city and lake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 09:48 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,190,843 times
Roscoe Village is nice enough but, yes, compared to the more eastern areas is less exciting with the possible exception of the portion of Roscoe Village between the Metra tracks and Lincoln Avenue, which is probably worth at least looking at. RV is a great family area, and decent value if you were looking for quieter streets but still very accessible to Lakeview. But to me it sounds like you want a livelier area. If I were you I might also include a few blocks south of North Ave east of Sedgwick in your search, and extend the west border to Ashland or even the Metra tracks between Belmont and Addison.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:05 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,508,022 times
The rental market is strong. Sales prices in Lincoln Park and immediately adjacent seem to be holding pretty well, in the past several years. Below their peak, though. The most expensive seem to be holding stronger. It doesn't cost anything to work with a real estate broker. But remember that a broker's first responsibility is to the seller, not buyer. That's my understanding of the technicalities. But there are many good, honest brokers/agents around who will narrow things down for you. Best of luck.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Roscoe Village is nice enough but, yes, compared to the more eastern areas is less exciting with the possible exception of the portion of Roscoe Village between the Metra tracks and Lincoln Avenue, which is probably worth at least looking at. RV is a great family area, and decent value if you were looking for quieter streets but still very accessible to Lakeview. But to me it sounds like you want a livelier area. If I were you I might also include a few blocks south of North Ave east of Sedgwick in your search, and extend the west border to Ashland or even the Metra tracks between Belmont and Addison.
Thanks for the advise. I just looked a few places in Roscoe Village and have decided it is too sleepy and far from downtown for my liking.
My realtor is showing me a few places south of North Ave (on Mohawk).

My biggest challenge has been finding a place I like with a private rooftop which is one of my requirements.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:49 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,508,022 times
There are condos with some huge open back porches suitable for BBQ, furniture, plants, etc. I once lived in Chinatown and we had just such a porch and a killer view of Downtown from our 3rd floor. There are many buildings with rooftop decks - Southport - Lakeview - Lincoln Park - DePaul - Wicker Park - Bucktown - but you won't have it to yourself, like you will with a nice open back porch.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
There are condos with some huge open back porches suitable for BBQ, furniture, plants, etc. I once lived in Chinatown and we had just such a porch and a killer view of Downtown from our 3rd floor. There are many buildings with rooftop decks - Southport - Lakeview - Lincoln Park - DePaul - Wicker Park - Bucktown - but you won't have it to yourself, like you will with a nice open back porch.
I am open to a shared rooftop (assuming I LOVE everything else about the unit/location), but I want one to myself. I have seen a few with Private Rooftops, but there are not too many. I dont really want a back porch as my only outdoor option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago