Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2011, 06:55 AM

12 posts, read 11,046 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a place for me and my son to move to. Coming from a very urban place that is close is 15 mins away from NYC, I want to move into an area that has the same feel but better. By this I mean I want it to be diverse in culture, have different activities for us to do and is not a boring place to be.

My son is only 2 years old so, I would also like a place where they have some place with free or cheap early child care programs. Also, my career is a big issue. I am in the fashion field. I am a recent graduate and I do not have a concrete job or pay preference but I do not want to move to a town away from NYC that will end up being no place I can grow.

Basically, I would just like some type of info on the job types available in my field (besides basic sales associates), how the school system is in certain areas (daycare and elementary), as well the best towns or neighborhoods with diversity, culture and it is safe that is close to Chicago (30 mins max.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 02:45 PM

6,428 posts, read 6,984,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KACallDay View Post
Coming from a very urban place that is close is 15 mins away from NYC...
Hoboken?

There is no exact equivalent to Hoboken in Chicago, but the Wicker Park/Bucktown are may meet your requirements. It's close to the same density and is full of young people. I don't know about the amenities for families with children. The public schools are nothing to brag about.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:23 PM

12 posts, read 11,046 times
No, Jersey City. I like the urban city feel and diversity however, I hate the violence. A place like Hoboken would be nice but not for the rental prices. Thanks for your help though.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:53 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,239,077 times
Despite the efforts of Daley to improve Chicago's standing in the fashion world, New York is still the place to be if you want the best growth opportunities. That said, I'm sure you're already well aware that it's cut-throat competitive in the New York fashion world, so perhaps Chicago's smaller, slower industry will better match what you're looking for.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:45 AM

35 posts, read 96,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Despite the efforts of Daley to improve Chicago's standing in the fashion world, New York is still the place to be if you want the best growth opportunities. That said, I'm sure you're already well aware that it's cut-throat competitive in the New York fashion world, so perhaps Chicago's smaller, slower industry will better match what you're looking for.
Chicago has become significantly more fashion forward in recent years, but it is still lacking in terms of being able to make a living out of it. Chicago is a huge retail magnate though for the center of the country, and there are many exciting designers with their own boutiques in place like West Loop and Bucktown, but the industry still has a ways to go.

Fashion in the US is dominated by NYC, then way way behind is LA. I'd put Chicago's fashion scene on par with Atlanta or maybe San Francisco in terms of employment and opportunities. That said, it is less competitive here, and if you have great talent and are willing to work hard, you can do fine here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: