Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2011, 06:46 AM

39 posts, read 107,737 times

Advertisements

I'm really interested in getting involved with film making. The school I'm looking for does not need to be the best or the most prestigious. I don't even care if they are nationally accredited or have degree programs. What I'm interested in is learning the skills. Though I would like it to be a real program and not some rogue group of hobbyists organizing workshops. It can't be an online program either.

If the cost of not so good program is similar to the cost of the great one from an accredited university, then I'd rather pursue and advanced degree from there. My bachelor's is in photography and advertising, so I wouldn't mind adding an MFA in film for a little extra, but otherwise I'd rather go somewhere a lot less expensive if the compromises are not too severe.

Now, let's say the differences in price and the quality of education are drastic, but I were to get lucky and find a way to pay for the best of the best, which program would I choose then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 06:58 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,786,096 times
Go to NY or LA. Chicago is a little fish bowl with a lot of fish in it. The industry in NY and LA are infinitely bigger, with more professionals of higher caliber going through the institutions, so you're going to get a higher quality of education. There's more competition, but at least they're not competing for scraps.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:25 AM

152 posts, read 495,115 times
Check out Columbia College's Film & Video program. Columbia College Chicago : Film & Video From their website, Columbia College "is an international leader and recognized pioneer in arts and media education." I graduated from CC back in '85 and truly enjoyed their hands-on approach to teaching.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post
Go to NY or LA. Chicago is a little fish bowl with a lot of fish in it. The industry in NY and LA are infinitely bigger, with more professionals of higher caliber going through the institutions, so you're going to get a higher quality of education. There's more competition, but at least they're not competing for scraps.

I hope your post doesn't push this thread in the wrong direction, I really don't want it to turn into another heated debate of us vs them...

Anyway, I build my life around the place that I enjoy and I don't enjoy living in NYC and especially LA.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orelaf View Post
I hope your post doesn't push this thread in the wrong direction, I really don't want it to turn into another heated debate of us vs them...

Anyway, I build my life around the place that I enjoy and I don't enjoy living in NYC and especially LA.
I thought you were serious about film making, which is why I gave the advice I did. If your first priority is where you live, above where you learn and work, then that's cool.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagodan View Post
Check out Columbia College's Film & Video program. Columbia College Chicago : Film & Video From their website, Columbia College "is an international leader and recognized pioneer in arts and media education." I graduated from CC back in '85 and truly enjoyed their hands-on approach to teaching.

Thanks. I definitely prefer the hands-on approach. Looks like the cost for their graduate program is $20k a year with the grand total of $40k. I may be able to swing it if I were to stretch it over 4 years. Is this the most prestigious program in Chicago?

Old 11-12-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
The school I'm looking for does not need to be the best or the most prestigious.
Quote:
Is this the most prestigious program in Chicago?

Old 11-12-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post

You're right, having to pay $40,000 for the tuition shouldn't be a big enough deal to make one care if the school is prestigious or not.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
You're right, having to pay $40,000 for the tuition shouldn't be a big enough deal to make one care if the school is prestigious or not.
Your first post, dude, not mine.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:19 PM

20 posts, read 43,901 times
I know a few people who graduated from this program and they are all making great money...as wedding videographers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago