Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 11:08 AM

10 posts, read 210,377 times

Advertisements

I was involved in an accident in which another driver ran a red light and sideswiped me. There was a red light camera on the east/west street I was traveling on. There was no red light cam on the north/south street she was traveling on. I brought this to the attention of my insurance and they basically said nothing short of subpoena will get me that footage. The other driver is claiming she had a green and that I was the one that ran the red light. So basically it's my word versus hers. If I could get my hands of the footage it would put me in the clear. How do I go about getting red light cam footage of my accident?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 11:29 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Your insurance company is correct, getting the footage requires a subpoena. Let your insurance company deal with it. They have lawyers who know what to do.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Your insurance company is correct, getting the footage requires a subpoena. Let your insurance company deal with it. They have lawyers who know what to do.
I am hoping they do. But from my initial talk with them it sounded like something they were unwilling to do.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:04 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,887,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwchi View Post
I was involved in an accident in which another driver ran a red light and sideswiped me. There was a red light camera on the east/west street I was traveling on. There was no red light cam on the north/south street she was traveling on. I brought this to the attention of my insurance and they basically said nothing short of subpoena will get me that footage. The other driver is claiming she had a green and that I was the one that ran the red light. So basically it's my word versus hers. If I could get my hands of the footage it would put me in the clear. How do I go about getting red light cam footage of my accident?
The City should be able to get that for you, as if you get a ticket from one of those cameras they reference a recording of the video you can access on the web.

Not sure who you'd need to speak to, but I'd try 311 and/or your alderman's office to start.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I am hoping they do. But from my initial talk with them it sounded like something they were unwilling to do.
Take note that the representative you talk to on the phone doesn't work in the legal department so they may or may not know what legal will do. And they will subpoena that video if they have reason to believe your story and don't want to pay out to you and/or the other party your behalf.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:51 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,887,708 times
actually, I should have prefaced this with:

1. was anyone injured?

2. any tickets issued?

3. is the damage to your car more than a few thousand bucks?

If the answers to all are no, your insurance company has likely deduced it will cost them more to investigate than to either pay for your repair (minus deductible) or to press the other company.

I got hit while I was parked many years ago, and a neighbor left a note with their phone number, and gave me a plate # of the offending vehicle.

I reported this to the insurance company (and police), and they said without an injury they just worked it out with the other company.

So I traced the plate myself via a friend, and gave that to the insurance company. They claimed they called the owner, who said "well, I wasn't driving that day" and basically just paid for the repair minus the deductible. Total repair was only $1K , so I'm guessing there's some unwritten rule in the industry that they don't even bother with the routine accidents.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:01 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,215,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
If the answers to all are no, your insurance company has likely deduced it will cost them more to investigate than to either pay for your repair (minus deductible) or to press the other company.
That's exactly what they'll do - especially if there were no major injuries and the other driver has insurance. I've had two cars totaled in accidents and the insurance companies worked everything out perfectly without me having to do anything other than pick up a check.

Based on your description there will be no red light camera footage. If the driver who hit you didn't have a camera to trip, and you didn't trip a camera by running a light - there won't be anything to review.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
actually, I should have prefaced this with:

1. was anyone injured?

2. any tickets issued?

3. is the damage to your car more than a few thousand bucks?
1. yes

2. no

3. im not an adjustor but from the looks of it i think my car was totaled. and at the speed she hit us at combined with my speed we ended up in a flower shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Based on your description there will be no red light camera footage. If the driver who hit you didn't have a camera to trip, and you didn't trip a camera by running a light - there won't be anything to review.
Somehow I'm hoping this will help prove my story but I doubt the lack of a red light ticket will have the impact as the footage of me legally entering the intersection.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:03 PM

54 posts, read 143,084 times
Quote:
Somehow I'm hoping this will help prove my story but I doubt the lack of a red light ticket will have the impact as the footage of me legally entering the intersection.
Yes there should still be continuous video, the only thing that gets "tripped up" are the camera's that take photo's of your license plate.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:27 PM

The video data is stored for a certain period of time whether there's a "trigger" event or not and that data is subject to subpoena. With injuries and a lot of property damage, I should certainly think one side or the other is going to want that footage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: