Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2011, 12:11 PM

4 posts, read 6,990 times

Advertisements

I may be accepting a new job in downtown Chicago, a couple of blocks from Union station.

I prefer commuting via public transport (bus or rail) and am excited about the idea of it. However, I used to do a commute from the suburbs of Tokyo into central Tokyo. After boarding the train, within five minutes, the entire train car would be packed with commuters. I'm sure you've seen the pictures before. It really was like that. I'm too old to be able to put up with that now...

What is the rider density like on the Metra? I'll probably have to be at work by 8 AM. Are seats available or is it standing only? (Not that I'd mind having to stand) Is it packed like a can of sardines in the morning?

And how about the El? I suppose I'm trying to gauge how far away from the city center I can live and still have a reasonable (in terms of environment, not time) commute on the rail system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 12:25 PM

3,702 posts, read 5,025,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_urban View Post
I may be accepting a new job in downtown Chicago, a couple of blocks from Union station.

I prefer commuting via public transport (bus or rail) and am excited about the idea of it. However, I used to do a commute from the suburbs of Tokyo into central Tokyo. After boarding the train, within five minutes, the entire train car would be packed with commuters. I'm sure you've seen the pictures before. It really was like that. I'm too old to be able to put up with that now...

What is the rider density like on the Metra? I'll probably have to be at work by 8 AM. Are seats available or is it standing only? (Not that I'd mind having to stand) Is it packed like a can of sardines in the morning?

And how about the El? I suppose I'm trying to gauge how far away from the city center I can live and still have a reasonable (in terms of environment, not time) commute on the rail system.
Depends on the train line and where you board and what time you travel and what else might be going on that day(cub's game ect.). Chicago isn't Tokyo. What do you conside a reasonable commute? Also if you have to stand, how long can you tolerate standing?(i.e. being crammed for 15-20 mins isn't going to kill most people).

If you board the EL at the terminal you are more likely to have a seat.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:34 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,208,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_urban View Post

None of the trains or buses in Chicago get as crowded as Tokyo or, more generally, other Asian cities.

But, they do get crowded. Some of the Metra lines do get to standing-room-only during peak rush hour, but it depends on which line and what time.

Most of the CTA "L" and bus lines do get to standing-room-only during rush hour, but it's not really to the degree that people are physically pushed into the train like we've seen in Tokyo. South of Belmont from the north side, trains may be crowded enough on both the Red and Brown Lines that people will let trains go by to get a less-crowded one. I'm not sure where the south leg of the Red Line gets crowded coming north. The Blue Line also gets crowded during rush hour somewhere before its Belmont stop. The Green, Pink, and Orange lines are less crowded, but still to get to standing-room by the time they get to downtown.

Personally, I'd recommend living someplace like Lincoln Square near the Western stop on the Brown Line if you want to be in the city and you're more concerned about quality of commute than length of it. You should be able to get on the train, maybe even get a seat, although it won't be especially fast, and the Lincoln Square neighborhood is quite nice.

I'm less familiar with the Metra lines, but I know that the UP-North, UP-West and BNSF routes are especially crowded. Of course that's partly because they run through especially popular suburbs.

Some of the north lakefront neighborhoods have frequent express buses that are pretty quick to downtown and if you live near their start point will allow you a seat. Most of those neighborhoods are among the most dense in Chicago and have a nice, vibrant quality of life with good transit access.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:02 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,661,295 times
Unlike the above poster, I am extremely with most Metra lines. It is very uncommon to not get a seat (or two) to yourself on MOST trains. The rare crowded trains that express to/ from Naperville are probably the ones most likely to have standing room only, but even when they do the amount of standing room is very comfortable as the HUGE boarding vestibules allow standers to have plentynof space to lean up against the walls.

I would recommend living along the BNSF from about Berwynn west for the best combinationnof frequent train service with excellent livable towns.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:39 AM

4 posts, read 6,990 times
Thanks for all of the information. I'm relieved to hear the trains are not packed like sardines in a tin can. I looked at the UP-NW schedule and it looks like it takes about an hour to get to Ogilive TC. I then could walk a few blocks to work. Even if I had to stand the whole way, I would consider that reasonable unless it was so crowded that I could not move or read something. The frequency of the trains in the morning is also quite good as well. I am not as worried about the return trip home.

My definition of a reasonable commute is one that takes at most about an hour one-way and allows me the luxury to read, as well as allowing my family to live the suburban life-style which is easier on them for the time being.

We have a little one (three years old) and my spouse prefers to get around by car when going out with the kid. We'd also prefer a townhouse or first-floor apartment rental as the little one jumps or runs in excitement sometimes and we don't want him to disturb anyone on a floor below us. We are thinking that the best option would be to live in the 'burbs and for me to jump a train to work. The preschools seem to be much more affordable outside of the urban part of the city as well. Hopefully we could find something like that for up to $2000 a month. That may be pipe dreams though, I have to do more research.

So far, for cultural reasons, living within close proximity by car to Arlington Heights is an attractive option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago