Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 08:42 AM

289 posts, read 899,505 times

Advertisements

The 30 for 30 ESPN documentary about NLCS Game 6 aired yesterday. I thought it was very good how the incident was compared to Bill Buckner and the Red Sox. I went to Wrigleyville that night to take photos. There is a clip of Blago in the story and I heard him say that line about not pardoning Bartman. Took this photo right after he said it. The second photo was taken as the Cubs were falling apart after the Bartman play.

What do you remember about that series and what are your thoughts now that we're 8 years down the road?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 10:42 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,857,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmosBanks View Post
I thought it was very good how the incident was compared to Bill Buckner and the Red Sox.
Actually that was the one part I didn't really like. Buckner was a professional ballplayer was was paid good money to perform; if he screwed up in the World Series the fans who paid all that money for tickets over the years had a right to be upset. Bartman on the other hand was just one of 39,000 fans there that night and did what anyone would have done. He was just one among six or eight people reaching for that ball yet somehow he was made into the scapegoat.

I missed the first couple segments of the show but evidently the producer was a Red Sox fan. It was puzzling the first couple times I heard him say "my beloved '86 Sox" until I realized he meant the other Sox. Our Sox were awful that year!

It was interesting to finally see the guy with the gray jacket identified (he sat to Bartman's right). I always said, look at that guy, he practically knocked Bartman over in his reach for the ball and then he had the gall to stand there and point at Bartman when all the cameras were on them. Somehow he came away blameless.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:51 PM

289 posts, read 899,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
Somehow he came away blameless.
They mentioned the wind blowing that night and they said it could have easily been all about the grey jacket guy. There was also somebody who shared your view about Buckner getting paid and Bartman just having it thrust on him.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:10 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,182,996 times
It aggravates me that Bartman is blamed. The very next pitch resulted in a slow grounder that went through the Cubs shortstop's legs, blame him. Then the pitcher gave up approximately 5 hits in a row, blame him. Blame anyone on the Cubs, but not Bartman.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:06 AM

3,503 posts, read 3,150,544 times
I just watched it tonight and thought it was a really cool documentary. I can't believe the amount of Sh** Bartman took for this. (And he handled it like a class act) Also some great points about Buckner (And to a lesser extent Alou) whose (significant) accomplishments in baseball are totally overshadowed by these more infamous incidents.
If you haven't seen it, I recommend it.

Last edited by quigboto; 09-29-2011 at 12:08 AM.. Reason: mo stufto say

Old 09-29-2011, 12:42 AM

1,478 posts, read 2,421,943 times
I haven't seen it yet, but deadspin actually had the best article I've seen on the entire debacle. They're known for their sarcasm, but the sympathetic tone of the article is pretty incredible, especially coming from them:

Deadspin Classic: A Prayer For Steve Bartman

Old 09-29-2011, 07:53 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,911,585 times
pbbth. the blame for blowing the game sits squarely on Dusty Baker's shoulders. after that play he should have changed the pitcher, just like he should have in so many games, instead of destroying Prior and Wood.

but today, I am too busy with schadenfreude of this story:

Ex-Dodger Milton Bradley -- Busted For Allegedly Swinging Baseball Bat at Wife | TMZ.com

Old 09-29-2011, 07:54 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,911,585 times
btw, don't forget Leon Durham...

Old 09-29-2011, 08:54 AM

4,683 posts, read 5,015,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
pbbth. the blame for blowing the game sits squarely on Dusty Baker's shoulders. after that play he should have changed the pitcher, just like he should have in so many games, instead of destroying Prior and Wood.

Ex-Dodger Milton Bradley -- Busted For Allegedly Swinging Baseball Bat at Wife | TMZ.com
Baker's the worst manager in baseball. Every single team he's ever managed has been stocked with talent and he's never won it all.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:23 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,428,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post

Who can blame him? His wife is obviously racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago