Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 10:50 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,864,315 times

Advertisements

I agree. Devon Avenue is by no means a ghetto. If you want to live along Devon Avenue but not necessarily east of Kedzie, you can always live between Pulaski/Crawford and Lincoln Avenue, along Devon. This area is in Lincolnwood, a collar suburb of Chicago. There are apartments in this area, as well as many single family homes. This area is mainly Orthodox Jewish, American and Eastern European. Lincoln Avenue and Devon Avenue is the border of Linconwood and Chicago so you'd be within walking distance of Chicago proper, but would still live in a mutl-ethnic area, very close to the city and possibly with some financial perks such as cheaper auto insurance, no city taxes, etc. I grew up at Cicero and Devon, just a couple miles west of Lincoln and Devon and that area was similar to growing up in Mayberry. It's still very, very nice but is mainly a neighborhood of families, verus singles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 01:22 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,415,819 times
Devon Avenue might not be a dangerous ghetto, but it is still an urban neighborhood, so it is still a good idea to exercise some caution when going about your business there in a way that you wouldn't have to in say some bubble-like North Shore suburban town like Lake Forest, Illinois. LoL. Anyway....I can make these analogies for you. Being on Devon Avenue really is the closest thing you'll find to being in the desi part of Jackson Heights (Queens, NY) near like 74th St (it's been a little while since I've been out there). And then think of Clark St in Rogers Park as being the more Latino side kind of like more towards Corona in Queens. And then think of the Morse & Howard pockets as being little slices of South Jamaica, Queens (ie. ghetto's). And then think of the really bad parts of Chicago that Drover mentioned such as Lawndale, Englewood (both in the south side), and Austin (in the west side near the Oak Park border) as being very dangerous ghetto's similar to New York's South Bronx.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:57 AM

186 posts, read 1,118,385 times
Oh if its like South Bronx, that's pretty bad then

Old 08-20-2007, 07:17 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Yeah... unfortunately, the bad parts of the city are very, very bad.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:23 PM

15 posts, read 37,254 times
Default south bx...dangerous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
Devon Avenue might not be a dangerous ghetto, but it is still an urban neighborhood, so it is still a good idea to exercise some caution when going about your business there in a way that you wouldn't have to in say some bubble-like North Shore suburban town like Lake Forest, Illinois. LoL. Anyway....I can make these analogies for you. Being on Devon Avenue really is the closest thing you'll find to being in the desi part of Jackson Heights (Queens, NY) near like 74th St (it's been a little while since I've been out there). And then think of Clark St in Rogers Park as being the more Latino side kind of like more towards Corona in Queens. And then think of the Morse & Howard pockets as being little slices of South Jamaica, Queens (ie. ghetto's). And then think of the really bad parts of Chicago that Drover mentioned such as Lawndale, Englewood (both in the south side), and Austin (in the west side near the Oak Park border) as being very dangerous ghetto's similar to New York's South Bronx.
The south bronx isn't that dangerous. As a person who use to work out there the most danger I had was trying to avoid the dog (poop) littered all on the sidewalk.

Last edited by mdz; 08-21-2007 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: language

Old 08-21-2007, 12:54 AM

How long ago was this? It's pretty bad now, the only two places as bad as South Bronx that I know of now are South Jamaica, and Queensbridge Housing Projects

Old 08-21-2007, 06:52 AM

15 posts, read 37,254 times
Default look closer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadrajabali View Post
How long ago was this? It's pretty bad now, the only two places as bad as South Bronx that I know of now are South Jamaica, and Queensbridge Housing Projects
I was in the bronx on a daily basis until June of THIS yr. So I doubt it resumed its danger once I ceased going out there. But you need to review the current state of certain NYC hoods b/c Queensbridge has improved greatly...and in south side you can see early signs of gentrification at work, i.e 40 projects will no longer be and they are going to replace them with housing for York College students. Now these places do have some crime, like a lot of places within city limits, furthermore I wll say all the above places have a long way to go to reach the standards of far better neighborhoods in NYC. But dangerous....I can't step out of my apt. dangerous....not true.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:54 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,415,819 times
lol if you ask this one poster on the NYC forum of this site named "Hustla718", he'll probably argue with you and tell you that being out in the Bronx, Queensbridge, etc. is like stepping into a warzone. He's pretty insistent that these are dangerous areas. And you know what....I think it would be dangerous if you got caught up in the middle of some situation with the wrong people. Of course if you flaunt $$$ or even otherwise, you could always be a robbery target of the local stick-up kids. And let's face it....the Bronx DOES have some decent neighborhoods such as Riverdale. But I doubt that the South Bronx out there has gentrified all that much. And Chicago's Englewood, Lawndale, and Austin neighborhoods sure have a long way to go as well. White people will probably stick out like a sore thumb in these neighborhoods. And Blacks could, well, they may be targeted in black-on-black crime especially if one is involved in the drug trade or gangs of any capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locstarr View Post
I was in the bronx on a daily basis until June of THIS yr. So I doubt it resumed its danger once I ceased going out there. But you need to review the current state of certain NYC hoods b/c Queensbridge has improved greatly...and in south side you can see early signs of gentrification at work, i.e 40 projects will no longer be and they are going to replace them with housing for York College students. Now these places do have some crime, like a lot of places within city limits, furthermore I wll say all the above places have a long way to go to reach the standards of far better neighborhoods in NYC. But dangerous....I can't step out of my apt. dangerous....not true.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:29 PM

yeah hustla knows his neighborhoods cuz hes a cop mainly

Old 03-30-2013, 09:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,647 times
Default Safety

In terms of safety the jewish area of devon is very safe with neat and clean homes. As you get into the desi area you can truly feel memories of pakistan and india and this area may not be clean and is safe before dark. But in the night the true criminals come out it is safe to roam on devon avenue at night especially on the weekends but the side streets are full of crime and recent gang actions ( even some desi gangs.lol.) that rob cars and travel in packs down the street almost like the south side
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago