Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 10:12 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666northstate View Post
If you smoke cigarettes, it is a no-brainer to buy them outside of the city and Cook County.
The cheapest option is to find someone selling tax free cigarettes. I used to know a Russian bartender who would sell cartons for $15-20 (when they were about $50 including tax). There's a guy on my block who says he gets them for $25/carton. They have no tax stamps at all. There's a pretty big black market for cigarettes nowadays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 11:04 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,062,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Just how much are skinny jeans at Ragstock these days anyway?
Haha. Diesels. And skinny jeans are for hipsters

Old 08-29-2011, 11:48 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
I can relate to this. I'm super cheap when it comes down to consumables. I hate spending $15 on gillette fusion razor blades but I'll spend way more money on jeans than most other people would.
For razor blades, that makes no sense.

Razors, mattresses and shoes offer the best bang for the buck quality-of-life-wise out there!

Old 08-29-2011, 12:44 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Emathias is just pointing out that it's cheaper to quit completely than to regularly drive outside of Cook county to save a buck or two per pack.
Yep. I was pointing out that if saving money is really that important to a smoker, they'd just quit since the overall savings would be far, far more than simply saving on taxes by driving (and spending on gas) out of the area. Quitting saves taxes, plus the actually cost of the cigarettes, all without having to spend even more money on gas. Not to mention that most smokers would save money in health costs over the long run, too. Smoking, like gambling, is really a tax on the uneducated these days. Sure, some educated people enjoy those things, but by and large they're far more commonly practiced by the uneducated.

Despite the fact cigarette smoke is really hard on my lungs, can trigger my asthma, and I have noticeably fewer respiratory infections (from 3-4 per year, to 1 every 2 years) ever since it was banned in bars, I never actually supported the ban on principle.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:02 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Saving money, or getting the best value anyway, is more than just buying the item with the lowest price.

For example, when I buy toilet paper, I know that certain brands last longer because each sheet is thicker, so I use fewer sheets. I know that the "cheaper" version sometimes actually costs more on a per-use basis. With paper towels, I buy the kind perforated into 1/2 sheets because usually that's all I need, so those roles tend to last me nearly twice as long compared to "cheaper" ones that are only perforated in whole sheet sizes (I have noticed a few of the cheaper brands have caught on to that finally, so on my next run it may be a more complicated calculus). Then, of course, for many things simple using a cloth instead of a paper towel is the cheapest option. Or taking (and saving) a few extra napkins whenever you get take-out helps limit the number of paper towels you need to buy, too.

I do a lot of grocery shopping in the ethnic neighborhoods (esp. Chinatown). Usually (not always, but usually) their products are less expensive, although the selection may be different.

For clothes, there are kinda three possible strategies depending on your own needs and wants.

For just the raw cheapest new clothes, those "Mega Mall" type places usually have the least expensive stuff. It may be cut a little funny, and may not last super-long, but the prices are usually even lower than, say, Old Navy. Vintage or resale shops are another solid strategy, especially if you're good at piecing together a nice look from an eclectic range of clothes. Finally, the strategy I use most often, is simply to wait for the major clearance sales at the high-end places. This isn't the cheapest strategy, but I think it offers the best value. You get clothes from nice designers at huge discounts. It just takes the discipline of only shopping during clearance sales, and the willingness to wear styles that are up to a year old (which probably isn't much of a problem for all but the most fashion-conscious). This can be especially effective if you're very small or very big, and more of a challenge if you're average, since the average sizes sell out the quickest. In my experience this is best done buying from the source store's own clearance, but using Filene's Basement or Nordstrom Rack can be pretty good, too, just not quite as good.

If you travel to New York regularly, you can also try to line up your trips with the major fashion house sales. A friend of mine bought a Hugo Boss tuxedo that fits him perfectly for 80% off the retail price at the Boss clearance a couple years ago. Way better than a rental, and at a price that was only about the same as 4-5 rentals (and he wears a tux that many times in a year, so it worked out well for him).

For dining out, you can also save a ton with Groupon and Restaurant.com.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:28 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
I can relate to this. I'm super cheap when it comes down to consumables. I hate spending $15 on gillette fusion razor blades but I'll spend way more money on jeans than most other people would.
Thanks for coming to my rescue Jandur! Lol- I spent $85 on my last pair of J Brand jeans (originally $150) at Nordstrom Rack. It came to $97 once I had them professionally tailored. Some people may think that's a lot but I also know of people who think nothing of spending $300+ on a single pair. Just depends on the person I suppose. The Chanel bag I can justify because I'll have it forever... to me denim is more difficult to rationalize past a certain price point.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:48 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,102,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
Thanks for coming to my rescue Jandur! Lol- I spent $85 on my last pair of J Brand jeans (originally $150) at Nordstrom Rack. It came to $97 once I had them professionally tailored. Some people may think that's a lot but I also know of people who think nothing of spending $300+ on a single pair. Just depends on the person I suppose. The Chanel bag I can justify because I'll have it forever... to me denim is more difficult to rationalize past a certain price point.
Okay I dont get it your looking to save money but then spend 150 bucks on a pair of freaking jeans!

Here I thought you were living on raman noodles and mac and cheese

Guess I am just showing my age -

Old 08-29-2011, 08:32 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Okay I dont get it your looking to save money but then spend 150 bucks on a pair of freaking jeans!

Here I thought you were living on raman noodles and mac and cheese

Guess I am just showing my age -
They were $150... I got them for $85 Seriously, do I want to look like this? http://www.hulu.com/watch/10333/satu...live-mom-jeans
Thinking of what the 'bargain brand' denim would look like on me is enough to make me skip ramen entirely and just live on water alone.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:13 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,102,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
They were $150... I got them for $85 Seriously, do I want to look like this? Hulu - Saturday Night Live: Mom Jeans
Thinking of what the 'bargain brand' denim would look like on me is enough to make me skip ramen entirely and just live on water alone.
Too funny
Cant say that I would blame you!

Old 08-30-2011, 03:39 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
There can actually be a big economic bonus in being more attractive through clothing, especially for women. Better jobs, more promotions, more guys willing to treat her.

It might well be more pound wise than living on Ramen or using thriftier paper towels.

However, there are Chanel purse or dress knock-offs that cost less than $20, even if they have the same or a similar name - buy 'em from the back of a truck in a sleazy part of town. You can even get very acceptable perfume knock-offs at Dollar stores. But y'all know that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago