Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 09:44 AM

126 posts, read 207,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
Thanks for coming to my rescue Jandur! Lol- I spent $85 on my last pair of J Brand jeans (originally $150) at Nordstrom Rack. It came to $97 once I had them professionally tailored. Some people may think that's a lot but I also know of people who think nothing of spending $300+ on a single pair. Just depends on the person I suppose. The Chanel bag I can justify because I'll have it forever... to me denim is more difficult to rationalize past a certain price point.
I read something once about where to spend your money to increase the pleasure you get. You figure out what things you need and what you love.

Things you need but don't love, scrimp as much as possible. (For me this is stuff like TP, toothpaste, cleaning supplies, some clothing, some of my groceries, gasoline, vitamins and prescription meds.........)

Spend moderate money on things you need and love, and get what makes you happy. (For me this is more of my clothing, some of my food, office supplies, toiletries, my car, business travel......)

Go ahead and splurge on things you love, but don't need. (For me this is fountain pens and ink, spinning wheels, books, yarn, some travel expenses,.......)

So I get scrimping on mundane items, then splurging on 'luxuries'. More dollars, but more enjoyment per dollar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 03:40 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahk View Post
I read something once about where to spend your money to increase the pleasure you get. You figure out what things you need and what you love.

Things you need but don't love, scrimp as much as possible. (For me this is stuff like TP, toothpaste, cleaning supplies, some clothing, some of my groceries, gasoline, vitamins and prescription meds.........)

Spend moderate money on things you need and love, and get what makes you happy. (For me this is more of my clothing, some of my food, office supplies, toiletries, my car, business travel......)

Go ahead and splurge on things you love, but don't need. (For me this is fountain pens and ink, spinning wheels, books, yarn, some travel expenses,.......)

So I get scrimping on mundane items, then splurging on 'luxuries'. More dollars, but more enjoyment per dollar.
nice way to look into spending , thanks

Old 08-31-2011, 08:57 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,941,830 times
Many people splurge on things they love like clothes or travel and save money elsewhere. I have a friend who is as thrifty as they come but always seems to have money for travel. she buys food mostly at aldi. You can get a large bag of groceries there for twenty bucks, the same bag would cost thirty or forty at the popular chains. walmart also has really good prices on things but some people dont like shopping there. I dont skimp on tp. my bottom is important to pamper.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:04 PM

30 posts, read 42,162 times
Coupons/Groupons
Aldi (depends on what you buy - I do not buy Clancy brand, yuck)
Goodwill (clothes, furniture)
Not have a car
Not have a kid
Not have a significant other (if SO wants to eat out every week then you kinda have to bargain = use coupons/groupon)
eat at soup kitchens (I be jokin')

I would say Goodwill & coupons/groupons is your biggest bet, as well as not having a car and using protection, on both sides, every time your hormones says "Mate. Now."

Old 09-03-2011, 06:57 AM

199 posts, read 618,527 times
I live on the edge of the city on the northwest side and do all my shopping in the suburbs.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:41 PM

13 posts, read 17,106 times
Best bet for me is food & produce at Trader Joes. Target has mostly everything Trader's doesn't, also buy stuff online! Lux items such as clothing can be resold on-line as well as many boutique like shops through out the city. Saving money in the city isn't as hard as most think. Having lived in both the city and burbs, I can tell you that aside from tax, it's all really the same. Watch for sales and I can be fairly certain you will be just fine.

Good Luck!

Old 09-06-2011, 02:11 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Don't get cable or dish TV. 99% of TV programming is pure garbage. You'll save hundreds every year.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:29 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Don't get cable or dish TV. 99% of TV programming is pure garbage. You'll save hundreds every year.
I agree, but my wife is addicted to Anthony Bourdain....

Old 09-06-2011, 04:02 PM

439 posts, read 954,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I agree, but my wife is addicted to Anthony Bourdain....
You can't watch it online?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago