Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Chicago's loss of population as displayed in US Census data a sign of decline?
YES 13 26.00%
NO 37 74.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 07:31 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,696,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
No, Just a sign of gentrification, and a loss of public housing and african americans, who comprise almost 100 percent of the recent decline. Many areas are better now than ever.
Yep, the Chicago's AA population decreased by 200K, of which a good part is likely due to the CHA's plan for transformation.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:49 AM

787 posts, read 1,697,113 times
Accidentally voted yes...meant to vote no! Laughing @ the serious pwnage going on in this thread. Give it a rest grozny/osito/dementor/Dallas/whateveryouwanttocallyourself

Old 08-05-2011, 07:54 AM

This City is more vibrant than it's been in a long time.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:01 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,209,063 times
I wonder if it's just one, or two or three people who keep coming up with name after name after name and posting 100% crap about Chicago. What on earth happened to these people to make them be so bitter?? Dumped? Lost job? It's funny for a bit, then really sad, and then just creepy.

As others stated, parts of Chicago have certainly declined, parts have remained stable and parts have gotten much better.

Downtown grew by around 50,000 people, north and northwest were fairly stable, and the south/west dropped by a large degree.

I'm suspect of the true numbers. School enrollment, houses getting mail, transit usage, garbage collection - they were all fairly stable on the west/south sides. Something like 65% of people in those areas didn't respond to the census by mail, and I'm pretty sure everyone didn't go racing to their doors when it was knocked on. I'm sure it's happened on other census' too, but I don't really buy a full 200,000 population drop. The usage of services and situation on the ground doesn't show anything that large.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:31 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,129,718 times
Also all downtown core areas across the country have seen improvements and a population growth of young professionals. Including Detroit. Its simply a nation-wide trend of all cities.

And we need to dispell a major Chicago myth here.

The bulldozing of the housing projects and the displacement of residents is NOT nearly as big of a reason for the loss of African Americans in the city of Chicago as people think.

A suprisingly large number of them simply moved to other parts of the west and south sides.

Apart from some upscale AA enclaves such as Hyde Park Kenwood and Beverly Morgan Park, the loss of AA households are the ones with middle class aspirations and want better for their kids and to move out of the ghetto. And with the subprime mortgages made that dream much more a reality. That plays a big part of the loss.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:41 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Don't you think its arrogant comments like this that incite the Chicago haters?.
Yes, a general -- not Chicago-specific -- comment from someone who lives on the East Coast incites Chicago-haters. You seem fond of thinking innocuous or tenuously related statements are prone to incite the Chicago haters. If that's all it takes to incite them, that's too damn bad.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Also all downtown core areas across the country have seen improvements and a population growth of young professionals. Including Detroit. Its simply a nation-wide trend of all cities.

And we need to dispell a major Chicago myth here.

The bulldozing of the housing projects and the displacement of residents is NOT nearly as big of a reason for the loss of African Americans in the city of Chicago as people think.

A suprisingly large number of them simply moved to other parts of the west and south sides.

Apart from some upscale AA enclaves such as Hyde Park Kenwood and Beverly Morgan Park, the loss of AA households are the ones with middle class aspirations and want better for their kids and to move out of the ghetto. And with the subprime mortgages made that dream much more a reality. That plays a big part of the loss.
You are incorrect. At least 10,000 public housing units were demolished and not replaced in between 2000-2010. Most were given housing vouchers and moved out of the city.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:54 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,409,141 times
If you had told me the entire Chicago metro area had lost population consistently, then I'd say "yes." However, the entire metro area has grown considerably and consistently for many, many decades and has posted a greater % increase than either NYC or LA from 2000 to 2010. So I say "no."

Old 08-05-2011, 09:09 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,063,670 times
Quote:
And $30K millionaires? Aren't many who flock to River North and Lincoln Park guilty of this? Especially when you don't have car expenses that allows people to drink at bars where a beer costs $8.00 just to be seen and see.
Yes and no. Most 30k millionaires can't afford to live in those areas. Most of them come from the suburbs.

If you go to an area where the cost of living is cheaper you see way more 30k posers. But I digress.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:34 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,105,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grozny101 View Post
Yes, due to population loss and surplus of housing Downtown Chicago is more affordable now, syphoning population from other areas of the city. Remember however that according to Census data we aren't talking about a single decade but rather 50 years during which Chicago lost 25% of population or 1 million residents. Population determines everything, from federal funding to city's tax revenue.

On the metro growth combined with city decline, if, NYC lost 25% of population while Jersey City and White Plains gained 5 million each would you still be cheering NYC for growth just because it's metro grows? I don't think so.
Why- would I care about the census figs in NJ or Pennsylvania that is over a thousand miles away from here..

New York bear down on my life everyday- In 20-40 years do you think anyone is going to be bragging about population figures - seems to me there are enough people in the chicago area to provide the things that i am looking for
Not like I want the place to turn into Mexico City or anything in reference to the population not the race so dont mistaken that comment

bottom line this is illinois not new york doesnt matter if nyc declines or rises its a thousand miles from here and it bears little if any result on my life and everyone who lives in this area.

doesnt matter - why are people so obsessed with population geez really ther e is enough as it stands .
on top of that i just got back from the city a half an hour ago the place was bustling with people , tourists. the big music festival this wknd . great day in chicagoland and a better day to live here - Why dont you go on over to the nj board or nyc board and talk about things there that matter to people who actually live there - most of them probably dont give a rats fat !!! what happens here either - dont blame em as they dont live here either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: