Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2011, 11:46 AM

2 posts, read 8,810 times

Advertisements

I am looking at a job in McHenry, yet the husband needs to work downtown Chicago. I'm wondering if anyone has done a reverse commute to McHenry, IL (Crystal Lake, etc.) from downtown.

We both want to live downtown and wondering if this is a doable option...

Anyone know of an overnight parking spot in the 'burbs near Crystal Lake/McHenry so that I could drive to my work after I get off of the train?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 12:28 PM

8 posts, read 27,162 times
I did this for two years, leaving my car overnight in the Pingree Road Metra parking lot in Crystal Lake (the stop before the Crystal Lake stop). While it is pay parking, nobody tickets between 4:30 pm and 7:30 am. I parked there overnight every night and was never ticketed. Also, it is possible to pay for parking over the phone if you want to leave your car over the weekend. I commuted from Jefferson Park, but it would be very possible to commute from Ogilvie.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:20 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,985,423 times
Boy, that's a long commute. The earliest train from downtown (Ogilvie Station) to Crystal Lake leaves at 7:13 and gets to CL at 8:35 AM. If you have to get off the train, then drive from the Metra station to your work location, that's even more time spent commuting. Do you really want to spend 3+ hours every day commuting?

Old 07-29-2011, 02:32 PM

It's not so bad, I read more books than I ever have in my life with all that time on the train. Also, the earliest train of the day goes (or at least used to go) to McHenry, which makes a stop at Pingree Road in Crystal Lake around 7:15 am. I used to catch the train in Jefferson Park around 6:05 am every day.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:18 PM

29 posts, read 54,336 times
I recommend living somewhere in between, perhaps the Schaumburg area. The reverse commute is no fun, and with fewer public transportation alternatives, arguably worse than going from the burbs to downtown.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:22 PM

16,411 posts, read 30,388,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benhwell View Post
It's not so bad, I read more books than I ever have in my life with all that time on the train. Also, the earliest train of the day goes (or at least used to go) to McHenry, which makes a stop at Pingree Road in Crystal Lake around 7:15 am. I used to catch the train in Jefferson Park around 6:05 am every day.
If spending THREE HOURS a day on the train is someone's idea of a life, it is NOT mine.

Do realize that there are no trains out of the McHenry station that head downtown in the afternoon. If you miss the train in the AM, you are driving as there is only one train out in teh morning.

If you head into the Pingree Rd. station, the first train from the city gets there at 8:30 am. And it will take you 20 minutes to get to the McHenry station by car.

In the OPs situation, I would live in Arlington Heights.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:19 AM

The first train of the day leaves Ogilvie at 5:55, and arrives in Pingree Road at 7:12 am. I took this train every day, and the schedule has not changed in the past year. There are many trains going back from Pingree Road in the evening, and again, you can park there overnight for free. I used to set my phone alarm on vibrate to go off a few minutes before arriving at the station, and the conductors are pretty good about not letting anyone accidentally end up in McHenry. A long commute like this is definitely not for everybody. That said, I tried living out in the suburbs for a while, and I preferred the commute.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:48 AM

2 posts, read 8,810 times
Default Thanks!

I appreciate all of your input into this thread (thanks for the positive outlook, Benhwell).

Jefferson Park...are there a lot of apartments in that area? If so, what is a typical price range and is there availability near the Metra stop?

What about the Irving Park or Clybourn metra stop? I know that these areas are a bit dicey in some places.

Behnwell - did you take advantage of the actual "downtown" Chicago lifestyle during the weekends?

Thanks again!

Last edited by amh1983; 08-01-2011 at 10:51 AM.. Reason: spelling ereror

Old 08-01-2011, 08:44 PM

427 posts, read 465,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amh1983 View Post
Jefferson Park...are there a lot of apartments in that area?
Not as many as the inner neighborhoods and most of the ones that are there tend to be 3 bedrooms on a floor of a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago