Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 10:47 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,998,064 times

Advertisements

Under 20F fashionable wear becomes closet bound. Frostbite is never in fashion. When it gets into the single digits you have to cover just about everything up (head, ears, fingers, face with scarf). In terms of coat you need a coat that goes down to the theighs atleast. It helps to have both a ski hat and a hood. Down coats are very good at keeping you warm(although I did have a synethic fiber last year that worked pretty well...but the coat itself was not made well).

People do wear fur coats because they are very warm (I hear). In general the colder it gets the less and less people like to be outdoors and trust me from living near drug dealing winter does quite things down quite a bit(not perfectly and not a lot as bussiness must go on..legal or illegal).

As for the lake the shore areas do freeze (not every year) if it gets cold enough long enough in about January/early feb but it is not very solid(i.e. it won’t hold weight). It is ice as far as the eye can see, but it isn’t very thick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 08:27 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,039,953 times
Personally, the reason that I now live in NC is due to the Chicago winters. Was born/raised there and from the time that it started to get cold...(roughly Sept.) until the time that it got warm (roughly June), I was miserable. (and, often sick). It gets cold here but it doesn't last.

Now, my definition of cold is anything lower than 60 degrees and, conversely, warm is greater than 70 degrees before the outcry begins! I hate cold weather and actually have cold-induced asthma, so, I am very sensitive to it.

I could easily be a snow bird, however!

Old 07-31-2011, 08:45 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,199,361 times
Get outta heeya

Old 07-31-2011, 11:14 AM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
I moved here in March, and was a bit suprised how long it stayed cold. Then summer slowly trickled in, yet I found myself wondering... Who stole spring??? None the less, the cold did not bother me, although I took a trip here in Februrary and walked through the downtown area near Union Station... The wind, when combined with the tall buildings, can cut you and chill your bones. My leather jacket offered little protection. It was nothing like walking through the suburbs for a mile or two, which was absolutely bearable. I think the temps were running in the 20's during that trip, which I'm well used to being born and raised in Michigan.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:20 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
who wears leather jacket in winter...mistake #1.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:48 AM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I do

Like I said, it kept me plenty warm in the suburbs, but did little good in the city with the wind cutting right through it.

Old 07-31-2011, 12:58 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,513,715 times
Quote:
As do I. I have a snug motorcycle jacket that when zipped up all the way traps all my body heat. More important than the kind of coat, IMO, is making sure your head, hands, and feet are sufficiently covered.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:03 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Hmm... well snow will ruin both leather and suede, my stuff is too expensive to wear if there is a chance of snow.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:07 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times
Quote:
My warmest winter jacket for 5-6 years was a black leather until I replaced it last year. What's wrong with a leather jacket in winter? I think it goes without saying mine had a warm lining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago