Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 12:35 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,199,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runuova View Post
And northsiders think the whole southside is Englewood?
No, that's just white people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 01:15 PM

867 posts, read 1,372,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
No, that's just white people.
LOL! You said it, I didn't.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:17 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,039,953 times
this whole thread is shocking. All my life, barbeque was something that you DID..i.e., cookout. It was not until I moved south that I found out that it meant this crazy pulled-pork stuff that you put sauce on...and fought about which sauce is better...eastern NC v the Piedmont v. Georgia...YIKES.

never did I think that the subject would even be thought of in Chicago....
just that it was some crazy southern thing....

Old 07-15-2011, 01:35 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
I consider myself to be pretty well informed about barbeque. I've been cooking barbeque for about 20 years and have done all of the requisite mecca trips (Memphis, Lockhart, Kansas City, Owensboro, etc.). I try to hit at least a couple barbeque places on any trip I take. Many places I thought would have great barbeque had a couple good places, and loads of awful places. Atlanta and Dallas are good examples of this, although each had a couple decent places. Overall Chicago stacks up very well against any city in the country for barbeque.

Most of the barbeque meccas have one or two places that are phenomenal, and loads of places that are taking advantage of the other places' reputations. They also tend to be limited to that region's style (although many Texas places do pork well, much more so than brisket is done at rib joints). Chicago is great in that it has almost all styles of barbeque well represented by solid places. Smoque makes brisket that can stand up to anything coming out of Lockhart. Honey One, Uncle John's and ****** Tonk make ribs that are as good as anything from Memphis. The only thing we need is a place that does real smoked mutton.

Last edited by Attrill; 07-15-2011 at 02:21 PM..

Old 07-15-2011, 01:45 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,513,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
****** Tonk
Lol @ H.onky being censored!

Old 07-15-2011, 01:58 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
Grew up in Rock Island Illinois, and we used to frequent Jim's when I lived there in the 1960s and 1970s ... best BBQ I've ever had in Illinois:

Jims Rib Haven | About Us

It's well worth the two and a half hour drive to the Quad Cities.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:01 PM

867 posts, read 1,372,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Grew up in Rock Island Illinois, and we used to frequent Jim's when I lived there in the 1960s and 1970s ... best BBQ I've ever had in Illinois:

Jims Rib Haven | About Us

It's well worth the two and a half hour drive to the Quad Cities.
This is a Chicago thread right?

Old 07-15-2011, 02:48 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Honey One, Uncle John's and ****** Tonk make ribs that are as good as anything from Memphis. The only thing we need is a place that does real smoked mutton.
I personally think Honky Tonk has the best brisket Ive tasted. I had some ribs in TN that were the best I have ever tasted and cant find anything comparable.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:05 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runuova View Post
This is a Chicago thread right?
When I was growing up, we'd sometimes drive from Rock Island to Chicago for pizza ... two and a half hours isn't that long a drive from Chicago to get some really good BBQ. I mean, come on ... or are you so Chicago-centric that you're unwilling to go outside the city limits for the sake of your taste buds?

Old 07-15-2011, 04:29 PM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
this whole thread is shocking. All my life, barbeque was something that you DID..i.e., cookout. It was not until I moved south that I found out that it meant this crazy pulled-pork stuff that you put sauce on...and fought about which sauce is better...eastern NC v the Piedmont v. Georgia...YIKES.

never did I think that the subject would even be thought of in Chicago....
just that it was some crazy southern thing....
It may be the part of the Chicago area you grew up in. Like I mentioned in a previous post, neighborhoods/suburbs that are majority African American, there are hole in the wall barbecue joints all over, which is not a big suprise considering that their parents, grandparents came from Mississippi/Louisiana/Alabama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago