Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 01:25 PM

17 posts, read 59,547 times

Advertisements

Alright, so my girlfriend lives in the Ukrainian Village / South Loop area right now. I'm not entirely amazed by the houses around there. I like the ones around Wicker Park / Bucktown , but don't really want to live in that area. I don't need a house exactly like those, but I would like a nice layout with some hardwood floors / fireplace .... just something decent with some class. DOESNT HAVE TO BE HUGE!

I'm moving to Chicago in a couple weeks, and we're trying to find a good place.

Here's what I want in an area :

- Safe
- Not a HUGE commute to downtown (less than 30 minutes would be good)
- Close to some good transportation.

Basically, I don't want to be TOO far from anything.

I've been looking around on craigslist, but I just don't know what areas are safe.

Could someone break down the areas for me?

like :

- Humbolt Park
- Edison / Rogers / Jefferson park
- Wrigleyville , Logan Square / uptown ....

ETC..

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 03:00 PM

319 posts, read 1,250,595 times
even though i haven't yet moved to chicago (moving in 3 wks) i am familiar enough with this board that i can suggest that you do searches for these neighborhoods. there have to be many many threads posted for each (pros, cons, etc).

this topic is rehashed ad nauseum.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:26 PM

17 posts, read 59,547 times
I looked through every page.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:48 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/chica...g-chicago.html

Old 08-08-2007, 04:07 PM

161 posts, read 699,570 times
The Ukrainian Village and the South Loop area are nowhere near each other.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:28 AM

131 posts, read 659,516 times
Is there a reason why you don't like Wicker Park? It might be helpful to know why you don't like that area so we can steer you into another direction.

It seems that if you didn't like Wicker Park, you would hate Wrigleyville? i am confused about what you're looking for in the neighborhood itself rather than just being safe. There are many safe neighborhoods.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:59 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,750,636 times
Lincoln Square might be a good option for you.

Lots of families nowadays, so its more stable/safe;
Right on the Brown Line/Ravenswood elevated (Western);
Might be pushing the 30-minute limit to downtown, though, especially with the Brown Line construction.

Are you looking to buy or rent?
There's a lot of rehabbed homes and two-flats.It's gentrifying(-ed) so the prices might be on the higher end. I'd suggest doing a thread search and see if this sounds more like your type of place.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:27 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Are you trolling us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowyouareoneofus View Post
Alright, so my girlfriend lives in the Ukrainian Village / South Loop area right now. I'm not entirely amazed by the houses around there. I like the ones around Wicker Park / Bucktown , but don't really want to live in that area. I don't need a house exactly like those, but I would like a nice layout with some hardwood floors / fireplace .... just something decent with some class. DOESNT HAVE TO BE HUGE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowyouareoneofus View Post
I'm into the indie rock scene so a Wicker Park, Bucktown move I know is already a good idea. I love the area.
You also told us your GF lives in Little Italy; now she lives in Ukranian Village?

I like helping out and providing information; I don't like being jerked around.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:40 AM

131 posts, read 659,516 times
Silly question: What's trolling?

Old 08-10-2007, 09:46 AM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,619,906 times
Not a silly question. Essentially it's someone who's on the internet to either annoy or inflame other people. An example would be someone coming on the board and deliberately getting into wars with other posters.

Probably more than you wanted, but wiki has a better definition

Troll (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: