Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2011, 12:38 PM

6 posts, read 8,563 times

Advertisements

I didn't see a post on here about this

Teen Mob Hits Walgreens On The Mag Mile « CBS Chicago

Is Chicago over it already?

Old 06-28-2011, 01:58 PM

130 posts, read 171,293 times
Your link doesn't seem to work. Here it is again: Teen Mob Hits Walgreens On The Mag Mile « CBS Chicago

I did see that article when it came out but the one thing that kind of annoyed me was that excluding CBS 2, basically all other Chicago print and online media ignored this latest flash mob / wilding / [insert other name] incident. The Chicago Breaking News website had no mention of this incident on their website, which makes absolutely no sense as it is a newsworthy event. CBN repeatedly reports on such dull "breaking" news as (1) a retired firefighter's disability suit, (2) a university's president grandaughter being turned down for a scholarship (!), (3) a murder suspect wanting fresh fruit in jail, and (4) a car accident in a park. I don't understand how CBN (which is basically just the Chicago Tribune) can report on these mundane events but ignores the latest 50-person robbery of a downtown Walgreens, especially when there has been a bunch of these incidents lately.

I see two explanations. One, the newspaper is just trying to be politically correct for internal reasons. Or two, the newspaper has decided to heed Rahm's admonishments to the press that it should stop reporting on these incidents. I find both reasons disturbing.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:03 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,580,846 times
put on your tin foil hats, the Daley conspiracy theorists have moved on to Rahm

Old 06-28-2011, 02:08 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,203,222 times
This story is horrifying. I mean we are not a third world country. This is one of the most fashionable areas of Chicago. The police have got to get this under control. Problem hundreds of officers have reportedly been reassigned to "bad" areas of Chicago leaving some of the better areas with less police presence.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:10 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,223,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Lundegaard View Post
I see two explanations. One, the newspaper is just trying to be politically correct for internal reasons. Or two, the newspaper has decided to heed Rahm's admonishments to the press that it should stop reporting on these incidents. I find both reasons disturbing.
How about a THIRD possibility: An incident in which teenagers "took bottled drinks and sandwiches off the shelves, then ran off" really isn't that important.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:18 PM

867 posts, read 1,375,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulful View Post
This story is horrifying. I mean we are not a third world country. This is one of the most fashionable areas of Chicago. The police have got to get this under control. Problem hundreds of officers have reportedly been reassigned to "bad" areas of Chicago leaving some of the better areas with less police presence.
They've had decades to put a stop to those "bad" areas. Now it's spilling over (like most predicted) into nicer areas. I don't believe it's gonna be over anytime soon either.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:18 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,517,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
How about a THIRD possibility: An incident in which teenagers "took bottled drinks and sandwiches off the shelves, then ran off" really isn't that important.

Agreed. Crime is crime, and it all should be treated seriously, but if that's someone's idea of "horrifying", well then, cheers. You may be leading a most charmed existence.

If violence was involved, I'd think it would of received more attention.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:29 PM

130 posts, read 171,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Maybe. But then I would want to see what the Chicago Tribune's metric is for what is newsworthy or not. I gave you some examples of just completely inane stories on which the Tribune reports in their Chicago Breaking News website. A rejected scholarship? A car accident in one of Chicago's several expressways? A murder prisoner who, gasp, demands more from his prison officials? Many of these stories are barely newsworthy, yet the Tribune made the decision to expend time and resources, along with ink (or bandwidth), to write about them. Yet they ignored this event.

I think the 50-teen robbery event is newsworthy because it is (1) a crime (which the media loves covering), (2) conducted on a very large scale on Michigan Avenue, and (3) it follows up on several other flash mob/wilding incidents that have occurred over the past month or so (along with other related events, like the closing of North Ave Beach). Also, the Tribune is a business. I feel like the flash mob stories are juicy (and would sell papers, or get online readers), as compared to a car accident or story about a scholarship. To me, all these factors point towards publishing a story on it, even if it is short, but quizzically the Tribune did not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago