Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2011, 11:32 AM

18 posts, read 71,894 times

Advertisements

I am a 21-year-old female and soon-to-be college grad who is interested in moving to the Chicago area after school. I am wondering what neighborhoods/areas would be a good place for a young, single woman who doesn't have much money.
I've heard that Lincoln Park and Logan Square are good neighborhoods, but after some research on Craigslist it seems like this might be just a little out of my price range (I can afford around $600-900 per month).
A few areas on Craigslist seemed to be fairly affordable-- Wrigleyville/Lakeview, Uptown, Avondale, and Gold Coast. Can anyone tell me more about these areas?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 11:39 AM

439 posts, read 954,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooster12 View Post
I am a 21-year-old female and soon-to-be college grad who is interested in moving to the Chicago area after school. I am wondering what neighborhoods/areas would be a good place for a young, single woman who doesn't have much money.
I've heard that Lincoln Park and Logan Square are good neighborhoods, but after some research on Craigslist it seems like this might be just a little out of my price range (I can afford around $600-900 per month).
A few areas on Craigslist seemed to be fairly affordable-- Wrigleyville/Lakeview, Uptown, Avondale, and Gold Coast. Can anyone tell me more about these areas?

Thanks!
If you can afford to spend $600-900 a month then you can live in any neighborhood you want, but keep in mind you'll get more for your money in certain neighborhoods.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:58 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,635,965 times
Do some searching on this forum to get a better idea of all the neighborhoods at which you're looking. A small place in Lakeview is probably the best bet for a new transplant unless you're particularly annoyed by the Big 10 crowds that are so pervasive in that hood.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:20 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,577,281 times
Priced out of logan square but gold coast is fairly affordable?

Anyways, get a studio in Lakeview.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
Priced out of logan square but gold coast is fairly affordable?

Anyways, get a studio in Lakeview.
I was just looking at Craigslist today and it seemed like most Logan Square apartments averaged at around $1,200 while Gold Coast seemed to be around $900. I know, I should do more extensive research.
Thanks for the tip!

Old 06-28-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Do some searching on this forum to get a better idea of all the neighborhoods at which you're looking. A small place in Lakeview is probably the best bet for a new transplant unless you're particularly annoyed by the Big 10 crowds that are so pervasive in that hood.
Obnoxious football fans and college students are definitely preferred over gang-bangers. Really, all I'm looking for is safety and low rent.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:21 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,176,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooster12 View Post
I was just looking at Craigslist today and it seemed like most Logan Square apartments averaged at around $1,200 while Gold Coast seemed to be around $900. I know, I should do more extensive research.
Thanks for the tip!
You haven't been looking much in Logan Square then. And that $1,200 in Logan would get you a pretty big place - definitely big enough to bring in a roommate to share expenses.

You might be able to rent a studio condo in the Sandburg VIllage section of the Gold Coast from a vacant owner for $900, and I know there are some vintage, non-renovated studios in the Gold Coast that are probably in that price range, but those won't be fancy (check out the hooker's apartment in the movie Risky Business to see what kind of place those would be).

Also, keep in mind that everything else is going to be more expensive when you live in the Gold Coast. Groceries will cost more, restaurants will cost more, etc, etc. Logan Square has more cheaper living options when it comes to groceries and restaurants. Not fancy, but not expensive. I've lived in Chicago for most of the past 16 years, and 10 of those years I've lived in either the Gold Coast, Old Town or River North - which are all next to each other with some mixing of the boundaries. So I like those areas, but you should know going in that they're expensive not only due to rent.

What I would recommend for a new grad who is new to Chicago, is fairly typical advice: to find some other young women to get an apartment together in Lincoln Park. A lot of other people in your situation live there, with roommates you can find good places in your price range. And after a year or so, you'll know the city better, maybe you'll have gotten a raise, and you'll be ready to decide if and where you want to live on your own.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:30 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,064,086 times
Lakeview or LP. You can get a studio for $700~

Old 06-28-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
You haven't been looking much in Logan Square then. And that $1,200 in Logan would get you a pretty big place - definitely big enough to bring in a roommate to share expenses.

You might be able to rent a studio condo in the Sandburg VIllage section of the Gold Coast from a vacant owner for $900, and I know there are some vintage, non-renovated studios in the Gold Coast that are probably in that price range, but those won't be fancy (check out the hooker's apartment in the movie Risky Business to see what kind of place those would be).

Also, keep in mind that everything else is going to be more expensive when you live in the Gold Coast. Groceries will cost more, restaurants will cost more, etc, etc. Logan Square has more cheaper living options when it comes to groceries and restaurants. Not fancy, but not expensive. I've lived in Chicago for most of the past 16 years, and 10 of those years I've lived in either the Gold Coast, Old Town or River North - which are all next to each other with some mixing of the boundaries. So I like those areas, but you should know going in that they're expensive not only due to rent.

What I would recommend for a new grad who is new to Chicago, is fairly typical advice: to find some other young women to get an apartment together in Lincoln Park. A lot of other people in your situation live there, with roommates you can find good places in your price range. And after a year or so, you'll know the city better, maybe you'll have gotten a raise, and you'll be ready to decide if and where you want to live on your own.
Thanks for the informative post!
You're right, I haven't looked extensively into Logan Square. Really the only thing I've done so far is casually checked craigslist ads.
And yes, I've been considering a roommate, though right now I'm really just trying to get a feel for what areas I should be looking at. Thanks again!

Old 06-28-2011, 03:01 PM

439 posts, read 954,963 times
The thing is Logan Square doesn't have many smaller apartments (studios/one bedrooms) so your probably seeing ads for 2-3 bedroom flats. The Gold Coast on the other hand is loaded with high rises which primarily consist of small apartments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: