Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 10:45 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-CityRelo View Post
Hahaha, my fiance LOVES this stuff and we currently have a bunch of it in the fridge. And we're moving to Chicago soon. He'll be so excited to know it's required food I had no idea this was a Chicago thing!
No Italian Beef should be had without it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 10:51 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,603,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
No Italian Beef should be had without it!
In that case we'll feel right at home in Chicago!!! In fact we might want to stay instead of moving back east after a year like we planned!

Old 06-16-2011, 10:53 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
In that case we'll feel right at home in Chicago!!! In fact we might want to stay instead of moving back east after a year like we planned!
And it's much cheaper living here, just won't have your family around.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:15 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Quote:
You wouldn't be the first or the last to fall desperately in love with this town!

Old 06-16-2011, 12:54 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacqueDarcy View Post
...would you accept someone who claims they are a Chicagoan if they left before creating any memories?
No.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:06 PM

994 posts, read 1,830,956 times
No. I only consider someone to start to become a Chicagoan with the following:

A) Have lived at least 10 years in the city

B) Adopt or at least support in a way Chicago sports team (unless you come from a city where Chicago teams are rivals)

C) Most importantly, you really live, breathe and take in Chicago culture. So all those suburbanites/transplants that live their entire lives in Lakeview, Lincoln Park and the Loop and never venture outside of those areas, I do not consider you a Chicagoan even if you have been here 20+ years.

Again this is only the start for me in my opinion. It's funny because being raised here in Chicago and lived here my whole life I can usually tell who was raised in Chicago and who was not, usually based on behavior, where they hang out and where they live.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:16 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,062,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post

B) Adopt or at least support in a way Chicago sports team (unless you come from a city where Chicago teams are rivals)

C) Most importantly, you really live, breathe and take in Chicago culture. So all those suburbanites/transplants that live their entire lives in Lakeview, Lincoln Park and the Loop and never venture outside of those areas, I do not consider you a Chicagoan even if you have been here 20+ years.

Again this is only the start for me in my opinion. It's funny because being raised here in Chicago and lived here my whole life I can usually tell who was raised in Chicago and who was not, usually based on behavior, where they hang out and where they live.

Love the open mindedness

Old 06-16-2011, 03:57 PM

381 posts, read 842,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcho View Post
The OP was born at Michael Reese and lived here until they were four.
I stand corrected. Born in Chicago and raised in Berlin.

Quote:

And I thought I was mean and close minded when I shared my opinion.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:06 PM

2 posts, read 2,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
While you haven't lived here for a long period of time you still associate yourself with Chicago as opposed to Berlin.
I still consider myself a Berliner! Just because I was born in an American city doesn't mean I'm denouncing my beloved Berlin! Such nonsense! As I would like to say, a German Chicagoan.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:16 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,413,339 times
Quote:

I agree with most of this, although I'd drop the sports team thing, because some people just aren't into that.

One other thing I'd add is that if you at any time qualified as a Chicagoan and you leave, you can still consider yourself one provided you have a valid family/employment reason for leaving. Examples:

-had to take care of an ill parent elsewhere
-left to be closer to your grandkids as they grow up
-lost job and was forced to relocate
-got an offer you couldn't refuse within your area of expertise elsewhere

My wife and I will soon be members of the latter two examples. We're both in the process of being phased out of our respective jobs, and have landed new ones elsewhere that will boost our income 30% (with fewer hours) in a less expensive city. Leaving should have been a no-brainer for us, but it was a decision we struggled with. With the money we'll save, we plan to buy a small place back here within a few years to use for a visit 10-15 times a year.

If you leave because you'd simply like to give city X a go, then you lose your Chicago card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago