Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 12:29 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,413,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
I wouldn't have objected if Jandur stated: "in general people who post on city-data don't want to live there" [south side] or even "in general white people...", but the way he/she originally stated it just raised my hackles a bit, especially since the OP gave a minimally descriptive initial post.
Totally valid gripe to me and personally, I'd like to see more mention of those areas. It just sucks to have to caveat it with, "Everyone's personal safety threshholds are different, and you need to be particularly careful/do a lot of research on an prospective place as things change dramatically on a block by block basis."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 12:56 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessme2 View Post
My daughter is moving to Streeterville..that is a good area then?
Yes, that's a safe area. It is an urban environment, however, with all that such entails.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:03 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
I don't see why people get so defensive about the south side. In general people moving to Chicago don't really have a desire to live there.
Which is not really accurate. I have three sets of college classmates, who when moving to Chicago, all ended up in Hyde Park. One moved to Hyde Park after graduating from college 30 years ago. After moving to Chicago, I moved to the south side from Rogers Park.

So, the south side is a draw for some folks moving from other areas. However, as we have seen, many moving guides and guides to living in the city do not include it in their descriptions. I guess people really need to expand their circle of friends.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:29 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,102,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDurden View Post
Take a look at this map of Chicago neighborhoods (doesn't include the south side):

http://www.dreamtown.com/images/neig...rthcentral.jpg

What you're looking for is anything north of "The Loop" and east of the river with great choices geared towards your interests being Ravenswood, Lincoln Park, Lincoln Square, Lakeview, Roscoe Village, North Center, and Old Town.

In general, the farther north you get from downtown (downtown= The Loop/River North, Gold Coast, Streeterville, Near North), the cheaper the housing. The closer you get to downtown, the more expensive.
Nice so you just chop off the whole south side wow

Old 06-12-2011, 10:35 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,102,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
I know its a generalization, and I made sure to use the word general a couple times just to be clear

Of course not everyone is a white yuppie but I think it's pretty clear that most of the people that come to this forum for moving advice are. I mean, when do you ever hear someone say "I'm looking to live in the city itself, but no where too dense. I would like to live an an area that is car friendly, and has lots of blue-collar and city workers as residents."

I'm not knocking the south side at all, I have friends in Beverly and they are some of the coolest people I know. People that gravitate to this board generally don't seem to gravitate to the south side, and I don't see why thats a big deal.
Your probably right a caucausian white male or female is not really going to be scouting out englewood for a a cool place for THEM to hang out on the weeknights and weekends

guess it just kind of blows when perceptions are the truth
its not racist it is just the way the area unfolds with its division lines
why bury the truth to the matter

Old 06-13-2012, 01:33 PM

16 posts, read 38,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Your probably right a caucausian white male or female is not really going to be scouting out englewood for a a cool place for THEM to hang out on the weeknights and weekends

guess it just kind of blows when perceptions are the truth
its not racist it is just the way the area unfolds with its division lines
why bury the truth to the matter
Hmmm....Englewood is a pretty extreme example i.e most people of any color will not seek out Englewood for any reason. Head east to Hyde Park and Kenwood and you have some of the safest community areas in all of Chicago's 77. I think Hyde Park was Number 5 safest last time I checked. So, sometimes, perception is far from reality. Just ask all those poor folks who thought that investing in condo conversions in Uptown, Rogers Park or Albany Park was a sure bet, coz it's on the north side right

Old 06-13-2012, 02:29 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
Another zombie thread. The OP has probably already made their decision about where to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago