Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2011, 12:33 PM

1 posts, read 4,873 times

Advertisements

I live in the suburbs and commute to work. My lease is up in August and I'm looking to move closer to my job. I work in the Gold Coast area and would like to keep the commute under half an hour. Biking to work would be amazing. I'm late 20s, single and artsy. My budget is around $1100. Right now I'm looking at Lakeview/Boystown mostly. I just worry it would be hard to meet single straight men living there. I grew up in the burbs so I'm a little clueless about where the safe neighborhoods are. Any ideas would be awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 04:55 PM

312 posts, read 713,518 times
You'd probably like Logan Square or Bucktown. You could still bike to Gold Coast but it would def be more of a hike than Lakeview, and you couldn't ride along the lake

Old 05-14-2011, 07:33 PM

59 posts, read 109,294 times
I can't really speak about any neighborhoods (just recently moved myself), but I can tell you that I live in Lakeview East and there are tons of bars on Clark Street right by Wrigley and tons of single guys who go out there!!

Old 05-16-2011, 09:28 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,700,727 times
Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Bucktown, Wicker Park, Lincoln Square....

Old 05-16-2011, 09:50 AM

396 posts, read 926,116 times
I'd do Bucktown or Wicker Park. It has a nice vibe that would be up your alley. I'm pretty sure you wouldnt like the douchey vibe in areas like Wrigleyville (which is next to lakeview) or Lincoln Park... unless you are into late 20 something frat boys.

BTW: Are you one of those cute artsy girls who wear those black plastic glasses?

Old 05-16-2011, 09:55 AM

312 posts, read 713,518 times
don't call Lakeview douchey. TonytheTuna's bat phone will go off

Old 05-16-2011, 10:14 AM

396 posts, read 926,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ole69 View Post
don't call Lakeview douchey. TonytheTuna's bat phone will go off
fair enough... although I didn't technically call Lakeview "douchey"

Old 05-16-2011, 03:31 PM

818 posts, read 2,173,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odannyboi View Post
I'd do Bucktown or Wicker Park. It has a nice vibe that would be up your alley. I'm pretty sure you wouldnt like the douchey vibe in areas like Wrigleyville (which is next to lakeview) or Lincoln Park... unless you are into late 20 something frat boys.

BTW: Are you one of those cute artsy girls who wear those black plastic glasses?
Not to be picky, but Wrigelyville is actually a portion of Lakeview, exists within the broader area known as Lakeview.

As far as where to live, I would probably chose to live in Wicker Park near Division Street, as the city recommends Division and not North as a bicycle route, and Division Street has less traffic for those rainy/cold days when you would want to take the bus instead of ride your bike.

If you want to be in the middle of it all, Lincoln Park and Lakewview would be doable. I'd try to live near a brown line stop. As you are probably well aware of, biking to work is amazing, but there are plenty of days in Chicago when you will not want to do it, so having a way to get to work on those days is also a good thing.

Another good option would be in Lakeview farther west, near the Southport or Paulina stop. It is a little bit less crazy there than in the Wrigleyville/Boystown area, but there is still a lot to do, and you can still bike to work on Lincoln Ave., which has a nice bike lane.

I'd consider those three areas first depending on your preferences, and then, if you run into trouble finding what you want for your price range, look into the slightly longer commute areas of Logan Square (on blue line) and Lincoln Square (on brown line).

Old 05-16-2011, 03:42 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,199,307 times
You might enjoy East Lakeview (the side streets between Broadway and Lake Shore Dr.) And, you can quickly walk to the Addison (or Belmont) Red Line stops or take the pedestrian/bike tunnels underground to the park/trails in seconds. Also, very nice to be able to walk to 3 major groceries (Treasure Island, Jewel at 3500 N Broadway, and Whole Foods on Halsted n. of Addison).

You won't have any problem finding straight men in Lakeview. They are in the majority (things have changed in the past 10 years).

Old 05-18-2011, 12:29 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,700,727 times
Any thoughts ArtsyVegChick?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: