Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 11:19 PM

5 posts, read 5,285 times

Advertisements

Any advice would be great, I'm curious what's available to me.
I would like to make ~$400/week working part-time (20-30 hours a week).
I am willing to spend up to a few months getting any sort of certifications (maybe a BIT longer, depending how good the opportunity is).
Those are literally my only stipulations. I do not care when in the day I work, I do not care if the work schedule is irregular (as long as it falls in the 20-30 hour range), and I really don't care what I am doing (I will pick lice out of someone's scalp for 20-30 hours if that is the only option).
I have a highschool diploma; no other degree.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 12:39 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times
I really doubt you will make $20/hr doing something an untrained chimp would do...

You do realize that having earning of more than double the minimum wage implies your contribution to any employers profitability should be roughly double, don't you?

Work is generally NOT like a carnival side show or schoolyard dare, merely being willing to do something odd/ unhygenic rarely carries any monetary premium to employers.

Guys that drive nice clean beer trucks tend to make more than people that pump out portapotties or pickup garbage (and none of those are part time work...)

Old 04-22-2011, 03:16 PM

91 posts, read 294,260 times
Since you have internet access, then you know that THOUSANDS of college degreed folks of all ages are having trouble finding a job. Even after you count out the ones who refuse jobs due to ego and lower than expected pay - you are in steep competition with the "college educated". Standing behind them are the "connected" individuals - relatives, friends, etc who are chosen for job vacancies DESPITE the hundreds of candidates who apply. We talk about how "unfair" it is when it happens in the govt sectors - but I cant count 10 companies that wont/dont do it.

Your best bet is to align yourself with temp/placement agencies. As many as you can. Smaller companies & firms with limited budgets arent bringing on steady workers. They may opt for temps. If you have marketable skills - you may land an assignment lasting weeks or months. At least enough money to keep you clothed & fed. The downside is that all of these agencies send you through a 3-ring circle of "assessing your value/talents" and that can rack your nerves but it may be your only way into many of the open vacancies that exist.

The reality is that big corporations still do college recruitment & sites like LinkedIn keep many people connected to navigating potential job openings that you will never hear about. If school isnt your thing - take advantage of some of the Obama programs that can get you certification in SOMETHING. You need a certificate to take blood, wash windows & work with food, so its something you cant escape. Companies arent gonna hire you first THEN send you to school - you have to come to the table with something. Plus - if you havent noticed - the "not so legal" persons in our country are willing to work longer hours for less pay so think about that too.

Good Luck!

Old 04-22-2011, 03:45 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,638,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I really doubt you will make $20/hr doing something an untrained chimp would do...
Well sure, but if he works 30 hours a week at $13/hour that would be ~$400/week. Might not be the easiest thng to find still, but let's at least be honest about what he's looking for.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:45 PM

374 posts, read 759,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by someusername View Post
I am willing to spend up to a few months getting any sort of certifications (maybe a BIT longer, depending how good the opportunity is).
Those are literally my only stipulations. I do not care when in the day I work, I do not care if the work schedule is irregular (as long as it falls in the 20-30 hour range), and I really don't care what I am doing (I will pick lice out of someone's scalp for 20-30 hours if that is the only option).

Thank you!
Have you tried UPS? If there is a UPS facility near you that might be an option. I've known a few people that worked there and while the work is strenuous, they were happy with the pay.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:23 PM

312 posts, read 713,599 times
Pizza delivery?

Old 04-22-2011, 05:56 PM

439 posts, read 955,105 times
Trader Joe's or Aldis? About five years ago they were paying $10 an hour in Buffalo, so probably a little more now and in Chicago.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:00 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,106,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by someusername View Post

Thank you!
Maybe you should be looking at the job sites like career builder or monster indeed, chicago jobs etc..

One would think your chances what be better

Old 04-22-2011, 06:01 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,106,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irongrl View Post
Have you tried UPS? If there is a UPS facility near you that might be an option. I've known a few people that worked there and while the work is strenuous, they were happy with the pay.
Great idea they are always looking for good working people who will work 17 or 20 hrs a week.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:07 PM

312 posts, read 713,599 times
hahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago