Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 06:41 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,998,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smedskjaer View Post
Wild speculation. And you're right, I never have been to Peoria. How many Chicagoans have?
Not many. The way Chicago is laid out it is easier to get to Wisconson and Indiana than to travel downstate. We tend to vaction and travel to thoose states more often than downstate IL. Chicago and St. Louis are about the only big cities in the state. Most of IL is farming and maybe small industrial towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 07:02 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,336,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Not many. The way Chicago is laid out it is easier to get to Wisconson and Indiana than to travel downstate. We tend to vaction and travel to thoose states more often than downstate IL. Chicago and St. Louis are about the only big cities in the state. Most of IL is farming and maybe small industrial towns.
I did not know Illinois annexed St. Louis.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:30 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,998,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
LOL..got mixed up with east st louis...ugh... I know right on the boader.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:49 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smedskjaer View Post
Speculate, how will Chicago change if the city were connected by a two hour train ride to Peoria or four hours to St. Louis?

I think people who commute to Chicago from the suburbs will sell their houses and move to Peoria and many first time home buyers will try their luck there too. Peoria will see a population boom and Chicago will have a much larger labor market.

I wonder if Chicago will absorb Peoria, culturally speaking, since in my version, commuters will spend more hours of the day active in Chicago than Peoria. They will be Chicagoans and talk about Peoria as if it were Chicago.

I think it will become the norm for the labor market in Chicago have home addresses in other counties.
Sorry but i doubt people from the metropolitan area will be packing up and going to Peoria.
Peoria is a great area and all but its not home to many.

You cant replace Chicago with Peoria- People are still people and they want a physical connection to a place they live and work in.

Why would i get up and move to peoria if my wife and me work in chicago
it just would not make sense. Most of us have our roots firmly planted in this region. and we respect peoria but this is home.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:34 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post

Well obviously no, but Chicago and St. Louis are the two big anchor metros of Illinois regardless of in which state the city limits are.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:43 AM

818 posts, read 2,171,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post

Why would i get up and move to peoria if my wife and me work in chicago
it just would not make sense. Most of us have our roots firmly planted in this region. and we respect peoria but this is home.
Well, what about people from other parts of the country that got a job in Chicago, chose to live in a suburb based on housing prices and commute time? I'd suspect that few of them would move to Peoria because their COL savings would be offset by transportation price (as another poster pointed out, it's $22 each way to Milwaukee). But, there are plenty of people here that do not have roots firmly planted in a particular city/suburb/neighborhood, evidenced by how many people move farther and farther out into the suburbs every year.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:46 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJaye View Post
Well, what about people from other parts of the country that got a job in Chicago, chose to live in a suburb based on housing prices and commute time? I'd suspect that few of them would move to Peoria because their COL savings would be offset by transportation price (as another poster pointed out, it's $22 each way to Milwaukee). But, there are plenty of people here that do not have roots firmly planted in a particular city/suburb/neighborhood, evidenced by how many people move farther and farther out into the suburbs every year.
I doubt HSR would be used by daily commuters due to expense and (still) long travel times. However, it might facilitate growth of "backroom" operations in downstate Illinois which benefit from easy access to Chicago but don't need to actually be located in the loop or the immediate suburbs.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:05 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default 30 years ago, maybe, today? nah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
I doubt HSR would be used by daily commuters due to expense and (still) long travel times. However, it might facilitate growth of "backroom" operations in downstate Illinois which benefit from easy access to Chicago but don't need to actually be located in the loop or the immediate suburbs.
When the "over night" explosion of FedEx happened it was a big deal to have a way to get time sensitive documents moving around the country. Then the fax machine quality / price barrier made documents easy to "send" anywhere.

Further adoptions of email and related electronic document interchange made the physical location of people / back room operations sorta irrelevant.

That is how / why places like South Dakota took the crown for credit card processing.

With the electronic image capture now built-in to ATMs "place" is irrelavent for back room ops. The same phone centers and technology hubs in India or other far off lands where "peggy" is "helping" customers could be part of the total workflow if there were not regulatory concerns.

Given the antiquated union-dominated mindset of Illinois politicians don't expect any areas downstate to reap any real benefits to easier mobility...

Old 04-20-2011, 10:29 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
When the "over night" explosion of FedEx happened it was a big deal to have a way to get time sensitive documents moving around the country. Then the fax machine quality / price barrier made documents easy to "send" anywhere.

Further adoptions of email and related electronic document interchange made the physical location of people / back room operations sorta irrelevant.

That is how / why places like South Dakota took the crown for credit card processing.

With the electronic image capture now built-in to ATMs "place" is irrelavent for back room ops. The same phone centers and technology hubs in India or other far off lands where "peggy" is "helping" customers could be part of the total workflow if there were not regulatory concerns.

Given the antiquated union-dominated mindset of Illinois politicians don't expect any areas downstate to reap any real benefits to easier mobility...
Isnt peggy wonderful
I was under the impression places like south dakota has processing centers because the laws are less stringent

for credit card companies -less regulation-

The HSR will not effect jobs downstate as far as people commuting - either way. unless someone has maybe a job they go to physically once a week either in the metro or downstate. I just dont see people being disconnected by 200 miles - that will not happen. its just not in our nature to be so distant and disconnected where we live work and play dine etc.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:07 AM

110 posts, read 250,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Well obviously no, but Chicago and St. Louis are the two big anchor metros of Illinois regardless of in which state the city limits are.
If you say that, you can say the same about Milwauke. Most of McHenry county goes to Milwauke, not Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago