Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 08:56 PM

512 posts, read 1,183,544 times

Advertisements

I know there were many "Polish jokes" around not more than 20 years ago in Chicago. The Irish and Italians also had hardships to melt in the society but now Poles are the biggest European minorty in Chicago, even though I don't think they still come here. How Poles are viewed by Americans now? And how Poland is viewed? Still as a poor 3rd world country? Chicago is the biggest "Polish" city, that's why I'm asking here. Good and bad sides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 09:16 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,746,107 times
Poles are a hardworking, intelligent, courageous and Catholic nation. They got a bumrap here because the Germans, who often despise them, came over here first and "poisoned the well" so to speak.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:18 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,334,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Poles are a hardworking, intelligent, courageous and Catholic nation. They got a bumrap here because the Germans, who often despise them, came over here first and "poisoned the well" so to speak.
What about the Russians?

Old 04-17-2011, 09:51 PM

11 posts, read 31,443 times
They are hardworking, friendly, nice, and really easy to get along with. I worked with a lot of Polish truck drivers in an intermodal yard and they were the best among all the foreigners. My housekeeper is also a Polish lady, and she is very sweet and trustworthy!

Old 04-17-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
What about the Russians?
Germans and Russians have rarely gotten along with Poles, rather used to partition Poland and kill Poles but this is not what I'm trying to find out here.

Thanks Irishtom29 for your answer.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:09 PM

396 posts, read 925,443 times
The women are very busty... but don't age too well.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odannyboi View Post
The women are very busty... but don't age too well.
My Polish girlfriend has perfect boobs

Most Polish women, who don't speak English, work hard 10 hours a day or so, I think they don't have much time to care for themselves.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
They got a bumrap here because the Germans, who often despise them, came over here first and "poisoned the well" so to speak.
The funniest thing is that Poles are almost genetically identical to Germans. The difference between Poles and Germans is merely language and culture.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:17 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,209,352 times
Language and culture is a lot - just look at world history.

Poles do still come to Chicago, just not in the same numbers they did before 2008. Not many people are moving around since then, Ireland has actually seen a much greater drop off of Polish immigrants than Chicago (or the US in general) has.

Construction and semi-skilled labor is the main job draw for Polish immigrants, and the bust in the housing boom caused the big decrease in Polish immigration to Chicago. I've worked with a large number of Polish immigrants, the primary ones being the contractors who put an addition onto my house and a few 20 something programmers I've hired at work. All worked relatively hard, at least as hard as any US citizens I've hired/worked with, and were straightforward honest people.

The only negatives I found were some language issues and racism. There is a somewhat understandable resentment on the part of many immigrants (not just Polish) towards African Americans. They speak English much more fluently than the immigrants do, but they feel they don't take the jobs that immigrants do, or they don't stick with the jobs if they take them. There are a lot of reasons why that does happen in the really low paying jobs, but overall I believe it is more sociological than racial. Many immigrants don't get that, and just make some blanket judgements based on race. A Polish friend of mine was very dismissive of a black friend of mine who ran his own business (very successfully). He was convinced it was all due to some fictional grant or welfare money that just didn't exist. My friend is a just a good businessman who works hard and my Polish friend had a hard time believing that. I've had the same thing happen with a Russian friend.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:32 AM

1 posts, read 8,455 times
yeah, they might be a bit racist but i hire 15 of them and they work fast as hell and can work 14 hours a day, no better construction workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago