Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 01:33 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times

Advertisements

Both very good documentaries:

From Poland with Love: Episode 1 - From Poland With Love | VBS.TV (http://www.vbs.tv/watch/from-poland-with-love - broken link)

Wodka Wars - The Vice Guide to Travel | VBS.TV (http://www.vbs.tv/watch/the-vice-guide-to-travel/wodka-wars - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 05:39 PM

512 posts, read 1,184,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Both very good documentaries:

From Poland with Love: Episode 1 - From Poland With Love | VBS.TV (http://www.vbs.tv/watch/from-poland-with-love - broken link)

Wodka Wars - The Vice Guide to Travel | VBS.TV (http://www.vbs.tv/watch/the-vice-guide-to-travel/wodka-wars - broken link)

Thanks for these videos!

Old 04-20-2011, 07:53 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,214,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fury_of_Chad View Post
I keep hearing about how Wicker Park used to be the Polish neighborhood. But it's hard to believe that now after visiting north Milwaukee ave
That was a ways back, and it was a heavily Hispanic area in the period between the Poles and the hipsters. If you ever look at apartments around there you will find that a lot of the buildings are still owned by Polish families. Both of my landlords in Wicker Park were ethnically Polish.

There is actually one Polish bar left over there that is legit - Zakopane on Division Street. You will find Poles drinking there and a Polish bartender. It seems pretty out of place on that stretch of bars and restaurants these days.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:59 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Being one, I find it favorable.

Pierogi's, ham, kabasi (I know it's "kielbasa", but who cares?), potato salad, gulumpki's, sour kraut, rye bread, lamb shaped butter, hard boiled eggs, babka, etc.

Merry Easter!

Old 04-20-2011, 08:30 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,136,713 times
Dill Pickle Soup!
Yum Yum!!
I love Polish food, and a majority of Polish people I've known in my life have been salt of the earth kind of folks.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:40 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,632,328 times
My car license plates read NIE WIEM

Old 04-20-2011, 09:58 PM

408 posts, read 998,158 times
Having gone to Polish school for a number of years and being brought up in a more-Polish-than-American household, I have mixed feelings. This is also a suburban perspective as well, but I guess it helps that I was born in Poland.

I do not like that I see more Indians and Asians at the library than Poles. This is disheartening and I would like to see more of "my people" there.

I do not like being associated with the contractor business. Many of them are aggressive and provincial people.

I do not like the whole club rat image of the younger people. I like clubs, music, and dancing, but my generation takes it to a ridiculous level. Most of them are quite elitist as well about it.

I like the good food, and the fairly prodigious amount of alcohol served at a gathering, whether wedding, family reunion, or outing.

I like the "connection" one gets when you say you're from Poland. It's like meeting an American in a foreign country -- it's just nice.

I like our history and enduring culture. I also like how Poland is becoming prosperous under the capitalist system (to a degree).

Old 04-20-2011, 10:10 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,168,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
There is actually one Polish bar left over there that is legit - Zakopane
I love Zakopane.

There is a great Polish restaurant, Podhalanka, on Division just east of Ashland.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:19 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
Dill Pickle Soup!
Yum Yum!!
When made right it is to die for!

I had it at Polonez in St.Francis a suburb in Milwaukee and it was great, then I tried a home recipe and it just didn't have the same taste as the restaurant had.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:33 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,297,532 times
Any Polish family could invite me for dinner and I will gladly clean my plate, ask for seconds, and help with the dishes afterwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago