Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 12:03 AM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times

Advertisements

I realize that many cities have closed their YMCA residences or converted them to other uses, whether residential or dorms. Heck, it's even hard to find a YMCA room for a night, never mind rent a long-term room.

My Google search has left me frustrated ("page not found" or whatever).

Apparently the Lakeview Y has rooms long-term? Can't call now, as it's the overnight.

Has anybody lived or know of someone who has resided at a Chicago Y recently?

I called a few years ago, and was told one needed to have a job in order to apply. If I relocate, I won't have a job yet but wouldn't mind paying a few months in advance. But I don't know if they'd allow that in lieu of employment.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 03:08 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
There's another one in the Irving Park neighborhood too, which is a safe and quiet neighborhood. Well, except that the Y won't be too quiet with with it being on a major thoroughfare and right next to a huge expressway and 2 train lines, one of which runs 24/7... but you know, other than that, the area is nice. I don't know a thing about their accommodations or availability though.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:15 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,333,359 times
There is also one in Evanston (which is pretty close to the city via train) and one in Niles right across from the border with Chicago.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:23 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
I realize that many cities have closed their YMCA residences or converted them to other uses, whether residential or dorms. Heck, it's even hard to find a YMCA room for a night, never mind rent a long-term room.

My Google search has left me frustrated ("page not found" or whatever).

Apparently the Lakeview Y has rooms long-term? Can't call now, as it's the overnight.

Has anybody lived or know of someone who has resided at a Chicago Y recently?

I called a few years ago, and was told one needed to have a job in order to apply. If I relocate, I won't have a job yet but wouldn't mind paying a few months in advance. But I don't know if they'd allow that in lieu of employment.

Thanks.

I know the feeling; there are times when I'm completely fed up with Boston, and I'd like to relocate to Chicago, but at my age, and in this economy, I can't be impulsive about moving...even if it's frustrating at times. The timing has to be right...

Old 04-06-2011, 09:40 PM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times
I called the Evanston YMCA (the exterior looks nice in the picture...supposedly historic) and was told one needs to net $263 weekly, and have 4 weeks of such paychecks as part of the application.

The website said rooms are around $131-$155 weekly plus tax. Seems that a lodging tax would be about 11% in Chicago?

The gym facilities are included in the rent.

No felonies or sexual convictions allowed. Parking is available in a nearby city lot for $50-$90 monthly.

Seems it's not as easy to get approved at a YMCA as some think, considering one must already have a job. A large checking account doesn't matter; was told that could be depleted in a day if one buys a car or something else.

I'll check the downtown, Irving Pk. and Lakeview spots. The rep told me they're all independently operated. Hopefully, not all require a job and would accept 3-6 months of prepaid rent. But I understand why they want people to have a job; otherwise, people would hang all day in their room and be up to no good.

I've considered extended stays hotels. They're usually $799-$999 plus tax on Craigslist for the Chicago area. Very nice, no credit check, no job needed, etc.

I just don't want roomies at 51!

Old 04-07-2011, 12:15 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,440,415 times
There are long-term rooms at the Near North YMCA.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
There are long-term rooms at the Near North YMCA.
This is true. But I don't recommend that location. It is pretty shady.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
I called the Evanston YMCA
The Niles location is better and easier to get into. Call them up.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:09 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,165,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
This is true. But I don't recommend that location. It is pretty shady.
The Y itself is pretty shady, but the *location* is not. It's 2 blocks from Watertower Place, 1/4 mile from Oak Street, and across the street from Holy Name Cathedral. The *area* is fine, it's just the Y itself is filled with the type of people you'd naturally expect to see in SRO-type conditions with plenty of on-site social services.

When gentrification in Near North really started taking off, some of the area businesses wanted to shut down more of the SROs and boarding houses in what is now River North. In a compromise with local social service advocates, that Y was renovated to better accomodate men who lost their SRO homes. I know a guy who lived there for a while. I also was almost killed outside it a few years ago when a glass bottle thrown from a window disintegrated about 2 feet in front of me, the glass fragments hitting my legs. The suburban locations are probably nicer and have less hardened residents, but they'd be a lot less convenient to most things, too.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
The Y itself is pretty shady, but the *location* is not.
If I was going to say the area around that Y was shady I would have. But since it pretty much is not, I did not.

I merely said that the Near North location of the Y is shady.

I don't know why you wasted so much time trying to "correct" me, when there was nothing to "correct."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago