Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 01:35 PM

95 posts, read 410,232 times

Advertisements

Before I post my question, I'd like to emphasize that I performed a thorough search, and couldn't find any consistent info...so please don't flame me, brother.

I'm traveling to Chicago March 6th -- 18th from San Diego on business. This is my first visit to your city and I'm stoked, to say the least!

My dilemma: This may sound silly to you and I'm not being flippant, but being from San Diego, cold weather is a foreign concept to me--something you see on TV. I don't own any type of cold weather attire/supplies beyond a wind breaker and an umbrella. I realize how dumb this sounds, but I'm being honest. I asked my friends & co--workers to loan me a coat and all I got were blank stares.

Nobody's been able to advise me as to what Chicago is like in March. I've heard everything from freezing to springlike. So before I go and buy expensive clothes I may end up seldom using later, can you give this guy suggestions & weather information or point me in the right direction?

Thank you kindly for reading this and I appreciate your time.

Peace

AJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 03:14 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,876,823 times
Default The information you ace gotten is not inaccurate ...

Temperatures fluctuate greatly in late winter / early sponge in Chicago. A few days ago temps did get into the upper 50's, nearly 60's.

About 8 days before there was major storm with single digit air temps, and subzero wind chill.

Right now temps mare in the 30's, but a near freezing rain is falling.

If you have a "classic" all weather trench coat with removable wool lining like the style made famous by "London Fog" or "Burberry" those are ideal for business travel. I suspect 90% of business travelers do have something that fits into that category if there job involves accounting, finance, law or or other fields where suits are still at least an occasional component of menswear.

If you have a sporty GoreTex shell with polarfleece liner that is also excellent, though tugging one over a blazer is nearly impossible -- for coldest weather the LL Bean / Land's End style parka / stadium coat is more standard , but I donut early March will call for that.

As for umbrellas they are mostly useless -- too much wind downtown turns all put the "unsafe to travel with" variety into bent trash when walking between office towers.

Apparela for business is mostly easy for guys -- business casual dress shirts and trousers will be fine, maybe a thin dressy sweater for evenings. Shoes are are easy to stretch into any season so long as you avoid salty puddles.

Be thankful you are not a gal -- women have it much harder -- while heaviest wool sweaters are probably too much and sleeveless tops are unlikely to be appropriate even if temps do make it into 70's (which are possible) you will still want a range of options to deal with temps that could be within a wide 40+ degree range... Pretty common to see some women in the office with skirts and tights while others still have wool trousers or corduroy. If we do get freezing rain or snow you might want to have more rugged shoes though if we have dry weather and sun then the stripy shoes / sandals come out in full force...

Old 02-20-2011, 03:23 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,373,634 times
I found these two in less than a minute by searching with the words "March" And "weather."

https://www.city-data.com/forum/chica...rly-april.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/chica...ago-march.html

Old 02-20-2011, 03:25 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,554,561 times
Interesting... I will be there the same time as you (Mar 6th)...but only for the week for a job interview. Hopefully we get some nice weather!

Old 02-20-2011, 04:05 PM

3,717 posts, read 5,051,560 times
The only advice I can give is consider getting some ear muffs and gloves. Esp. if you find them cheap. There is a 90% chance you won't need them by the first week of March or so but March sometimes likes to come in like a lion giving us winter's last gasp.If things are bad those accessories really help a lot.

Sturdy shoes however are a must have. Salt can ruin dress shoes and dress shoes often lack traction.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:21 PM

95 posts, read 410,232 times
Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Temperatures fluctuate greatly in late winter / early sponge in Chicago. A few days ago temps did get into the upper 50's, nearly 60's.

About 8 days before there was major storm with single digit air temps, and subzero wind chill.

Right now temps mare in the 30's, but a near freezing rain is falling.

If you have a "classic" all weather trench coat with removable wool lining like the style made famous by "London Fog" or "Burberry" those are ideal for business travel. I suspect 90% of business travelers do have something that fits into that category if there job involves accounting, finance, law or or other fields where suits are still at least an occasional component of menswear.

If you have a sporty GoreTex shell with polarfleece liner that is also excellent, though tugging one over a blazer is nearly impossible -- for coldest weather the LL Bean / Land's End style parka / stadium coat is more standard , but I donut early March will call for that.

As for umbrellas they are mostly useless -- too much wind downtown turns all put the "unsafe to travel with" variety into bent trash when walking between office towers.

Apparela for business is mostly easy for guys -- business casual dress shirts and trousers will be fine, maybe a thin dressy sweater for evenings. Shoes are are easy to stretch into any season so long as you avoid salty puddles.

Be thankful you are not a gal -- women have it much harder -- while heaviest wool sweaters are probably too much and sleeveless tops are unlikely to be appropriate even if temps do make it into 70's (which are possible) you will still want a range of options to deal with temps that could be within a wide 40+ degree range... Pretty common to see some women in the office with skirts and tights while others still have wool trousers or corduroy. If we do get freezing rain or snow you might want to have more rugged shoes though if we have dry weather and sun then the stripy shoes / sandals come out in full force...
Chet, thanks for keeping it positive and thanks even more for the information! Much appreciated.

AJ

Old 02-20-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnsd View Post
I realize how dumb this sounds, but I'm being honest. I asked my friends & co--workers to loan me a coat and all I got were blank stares.
It is better to get blank stares at your co-workers in California than getting laughed at or gawked at in Chicago, because you are wearing no jacket and it is 30 degrees.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:57 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,111,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
It is better to get blank stares at your co-workers in California than getting laughed at or gawked at in Chicago, because you are wearing no jacket and it is 30 degrees.
I think that would be the least of his worries!

Preventing pneumonia would be a higher priority!

Old 02-20-2011, 05:15 PM

Just check the weather averages and records for downtown:

Monthly Weather Forecast for Chicago, IL (60611) - weather.com

Old 02-20-2011, 10:09 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,252,561 times
Chet really hit all the main points, I just have few suggestions on how to approach your situation.

Another thing to consider would be what clothes you can use in your day to day life. The weather can (and will) be widely variable, so layering is going to be your best bet. A large windproof/waterproof shell is going be a must. As Chet said - either a Burberry rain coat or an REI/Northern Face/LL Bean thing can do the job. It's mostly a style choice on your part, but buy one that is a bit big so you can layer underneath it. If it is a light shell you'll be able to put it to use at home.

A hat and gloves are a must. You may not need to put them on, but if you do they will save you a lot of pain. You can go cheap with these, just buy wool and not cotton.

Depending on the industry you're in fashion really shouldn't play much of a role in your outerwear. You'll take it off before meetings, so if you're wearing a $50 LL Bean coat over a $2000 Armani suit you'll fit right in in Chicago. Footwear can also fall into the same category, I did a new business pitch the Thursday after the blizzard and wore a nice (and heavy) wool suit to the meeting along with a pair of hiking boots. They're nice boots, and the CEO of the company we were pitching to asked where I got my boots. People in Chicago place function above fashion when the weather gets bad (I've found the same to be true in Boston, NYC, and London). Fashion can sometimes matter in Finance and Law, but if you're applying for a position where that will matter you're probably planning on dropping a couple thousand on what you'll wear to the interview anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago