Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 08:57 AM

994 posts, read 1,830,956 times

Advertisements

I agree with oakparkdude. I think there will be a shift of Chicago/American culture. I don't know how soon though. My opinion is based off of fuel prices and the environment. I think cities that are already dense and have a strong infrastructure that supports transportation in a variety of ways will begin to growth once that shift happens. I think this might happen more so in the Midwest, if jobs can get moved back up here, where most Midwest cities are cheap and the older ones have better city planning and infrastructure.

I think that Phoenix, Las Vegas, Houston, etc., that those cities will continue growing until the near future, like 10-20 years from now. However, past that timeframe I see those cities having big problems due to their infrastructure or lack of and basically because of where they are located (this is more reference to Las Vegas and Phoenix in which they have no water!). The cities in Texas might get lucky just because they have a lot of money, so improving their infrastructure might not be a problem, but they will have to start doing it soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 09:28 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
I agree with oakparkdude. I think there will be a shift of Chicago/American culture.

Indeed. We've seen the marginalization of the working class and now the middle class is on the chopping black as computers make possible shipping white collar jobs overseas. We'll see an increased concentration of decreasing wealth as The United States declines in economic and world political power. This will be followed by social unrest and possibly by revolution and civil war.

Oh yes, there will be shifts.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:52 AM

Exactly why I am learning Portuguese, because I firmly believe that in the Western Hemisphere, Brazil will be force to be reckoned with. I even dare to say that if the U.S. keeps going the way it's going it might be playing second fiddle econimically to Brazil by 2050 in the western hemisphere. Which is why I plan to learn Portuguese and do work for the Brazilian market and business here in the U.S.

I think the U.S. will end up like countries like Japan or Germany, that have great influences globally, great economies, but are not the top dog of the world. I think its safe to say China is heading that way, and Brazil on this side of the world. Of course this is all speculation and like I said, if things keep going the way they are.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:54 AM

^^^I don't about a civil war/revolution, I don't think that would happen. I could see some states trying to break away from the union and honestly I believe have good reason to (ie, Texas and California). I hope it doesn't happen, but I wouldn't be surprised. However, I don't see and hope not that a civil war/revolution would happen.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:23 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,662,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Indeed. We've seen the marginalization of the working class and now the middle class is on the chopping black as computers make possible shipping white collar jobs overseas. We'll see an increased concentration of decreasing wealth as The United States declines in economic and world political power. This will be followed by social unrest and possibly by revolution and civil war.

Oh yes, there will be shifts.
Good heavens, Tom. You do love yourself some doomsday scenarios, don't you? You shouldn't believe everything you see on the History channel.

My suspicion is that the wheel has stopped turning and is about to roll backwards. And possibly crush us. Without the cash or access to cash to buy third-world services and products, we're going to have to make-do again.

Overall, with the right legislation I think it will be a great thing. Hopefully the baby boomers will (finally) be dead by then. The repeal of many ridiculous and hideously expensive laws and expectations will allow the United States to bloom again

Of course, this means concessions. Unions are dead. Pensions are never going to exist again. Hopefully, please dear god, we can get rid of Social Security and make American workers affordable again. And, you know, stop blowing money and our entire budget on assets with no realizable value.

In the meantime, there will be riots. And to that, I'd like to point your attention to the state a little north of Chicago. If the death of unions is going to start anywhere, I can't think of a more fitting place than Wisconsin. The power of the people isn't worth much these days; at no point in the last century has it been easier to pull a Reagan. 10 people for every position? Symbolic indeed.

The other item on my wishlist is for the unification of our hemisphere. We are the most resource rich area anywhere in the world; no one has the capacity we do, and no one desires to live anywhere more than here. North, Central and South America have been divided for far too long. The costs are too high to ignore.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:28 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Riiiiiiiiiiight, after decades of paying into a pension or social security we just make them go pffft and watch hundreds of thousands battle with poverty. Good thinking! Of course, mis-management has nothing to do with it.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:22 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
I want Chicago to grow not because growth is an end in itself; I want Chicago to grow (at a manageable rate) because of what growth signifies about the city's economic health.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:19 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Mess View Post
I have to say that from reading online sites, Chicago really sounds like a city full of race problems/ racists. I don't have this feeling when talking to Chicagoans face to face. Weird uh?
Seriously? You think people who post on online chat sites are representative of the general population?

Old 02-21-2011, 12:13 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
I really don't care if Chicago grows now or not anymore, for me, my standard is that Chicago stay over 2 Million people and never get below that and remain either 3rd or 4th largest city and not slip up to anyone else anymore. Chicago staying in the 2 Millions is my main concern, and as a bonus, if it grows then it grows.

I no longer have any high expectations for Chicago, at all and just want it to maintain its health economically while being a Top 5 level city and not slip anymore, ever.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:37 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
Now that the thread has been settled down, you can go back to discussing the subject at hand. Drover has a good idea. If we could figure out some way to get the politics and money under control it could be a great state from top to bottom - and of course Cheicago would reign supreme - only even better.

A little good news is downstate has gained a bit of population across the board. I don't know that it signals anything in particular except new business and new people are good for the state.

Last edited by linicx; 02-21-2011 at 01:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago