Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 05:59 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,333,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
According to the city of Chicago's official website, West Loop extends to Ashland. Who are you going to believe, the gubument or some random person on a blog? Not to mention that virtually every business that contains the words west loop extends beyond Halsted.

West Loop | Chicago Neighborhoods | Explore Chicago
I see Rahm's people already got jobs. Either that or the city let some Okie from Muskogee draw the boundaries for that map. This map is ludicrous.

Roosevelt and Canal is "West Loop?"

LMFAO

Old 02-17-2011, 06:06 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,286,380 times
Default Communism!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
I see Rahm's people already got jobs. Either that or the city let some Okie from Muskogee draw the boundaries for that map. This map is ludicrous.

Roosevelt and Canal is "West Loop?"

LMFAO
It's a big conspiracy by Obama's people and big gubument.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
It's a big conspiracy by Obama's people and big gubument.
Nothing surprises me anymore quite frankly.

Whoever drew that map or thinks those boundaries are correct needs to be banished from Chicago.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:11 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Then you have the people (New York wannabes I assume) who call Taylor St. "Little Italy".

I remember when Taylor St. was truely an Italian neighborhood, Greeks lived in Greektown and Madison St. west of the Loop wasn't "West Loop", it was "Skid Row". I understand that neighborhoods change and names change with them but I resent that change being driven by real estate agents and merchants for their financial gain and by those who parrot them.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:38 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,132,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Then you have the people (New York wannabes I assume) who call Taylor St. "Little Italy".

I remember when Taylor St. was truely an Italian neighborhood, Greeks lived in Greektown and Madison St. west of the Loop wasn't "West Loop", it was "Skid Row". I understand that neighborhoods change and names change with them but I resent that change being driven by real estate agents and merchants for their financial gain and by those who parrot them.
I agree, and I have a great deal of respect for your knowledge of the city, especially being a fairly recent (6 years) transplant myself. I just don't see it being constructive to get in a pissing match with some of the posters here because they don't possess the encyclopedic knowledge of yourself and Mr. Tuna. If the guy is trying to learn his way around Chicago and Wikipedia and even The City of Chicago's website, plus the merchants and denizens of the neighborhood are telling him it's the "West Loop" why would we get hung up on that detail rather than the question that brought him here to begin with?
If the city is saying it's West Loop, and Wikipedia (and others) are saying it is, then people are going to believe its the West Loop, regardless of how many Old School Chicagoans argue otherwise.
Doesn't seem worth it to debate about endlessly, especially since this poor noob still doesn't know where to park his car.

(And for the record, here in South Logan Square/West Wicker Park, we have the utmost respect for the original Neighborhood names, we'd just sooner forget ours if at all possible)

Old 02-17-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
According to the city of Chicago's official website

West Loop | Chicago Neighborhoods | Explore Chicago
This map is from the tourism website for the city. Tourists don't have the ability to comprehend that the city has over 200 neighborhoods and articulate them all, so the city knocks it down to about half the number on that map.

I have been in a number of cities that did the same thing with their tourists maps.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:48 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
If the city is saying it's West Loop, and Wikipedia (and others) are saying it is, then people are going to believe its the West Loop, regardless of how many Old School Chicagoans argue otherwise.
Doesn't seem worth it to debate about endlessly, especially since this poor noob still doesn't know where to park his car.

True, your point is well taken. But being a crotchety old pain in the ass is my role around here.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Little Italy/UIC :

Little Italy, UIC | Chicago Neighborhoods | Explore Chicago

Old 02-17-2011, 07:53 PM

I hope to be just as crotchety as Irishtom is when I get old. I already know I am a pain in the ass.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:55 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,132,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
I hope to be just as crotchety as Irishtom is when I get old. I already know I am a pain in the ass.
I don't think you have anything to worry about

(I'll probably be there in another 10 years myself)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago