Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 08:58 PM

3,647 posts, read 8,357,908 times

Advertisements

That list had Orlando on it. That alone means that its a bunch of BS.

mas23
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 09:02 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,655,432 times
Eh... certainly some tastes will be different than others. Pizazz and flash, whatever they might be are probably not in my interests. Hollywood was probably the biggest hyped up disappointment I can remember, and I am being serious when I say that.

I think Seattle on that list is definitely cool and was arguing in another thread about it.

The ones I would take out are

San Diego, Las Vegas, Orlando, Miami. None of those cities interest me in the least bit.

When I visit a city I want culture, arts, history, literature, architecture, restaurants, music, the whole package. If I wanted to go to a beach I'll go to the Caribbean before I stay in the states, San Juan and Cancun/Cozumel come to mind but they have extremely old history, rainforests, temples, mayan ruins,etc which is what lured me there. But, I'm not a beach person to begin with. If I want outdoors, obviously a city isn't going to be the place to do that, I'll head straight to a national park like Yosemite, Yellowstone, Glacier, Appalachians, Tahoe etc.

Anywho.

I think the guy is an Indian translator or something along those lines, his English is like a 5th grader (look at his profile and other articles.)

Last edited by grapico; 01-13-2011 at 09:17 PM..

Old 01-13-2011, 09:18 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,899,261 times
'Hubpages' is some sort of sleazy/scammy site where (basically unemployed.. lots of SAHMs and such) are paid, like, a fraction of a penny every time some amateurish article they spew out gets a 'hit.' Some of the other 'articles' on the site are barely intelligible/hardly recognizable as English, nonsensical, obvious shills for other products (hey, it doesn't hurt to moonlight for a couple extra pennies if you're a 'hubpager' ), etc. Normally I get a little miffed when Chicago gets neglected by the ignorant in lists such as these, but this one is absolutely nothing to lose sleep over.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
[...]and doesn't offer nearly as much flash and tourist pizazz as other US cities. I love it for what it is regardless.
Which other cities? I'd disagree, incidentally.. I think driving into the city on Lake Shore Drive (night or day, take your pick) is pretty darn flashy/pizazz-y.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:34 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,373,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
'Hubpages' is some sort of sleazy/scammy site where (basically unemployed.. lots of SAHMs and such) are paid, like, a fraction of a penny every time some amateurish article they spew out gets a 'hit.'
Like a crappy version of examiner.com?

Old 01-13-2011, 10:14 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,785,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallvillejane View Post
10 Must Visit Cities In The United States

Even seattle is on there, but not chicago?
Eventhough I visit Chicago twice a month I am only a little surprised it didn't make the list. All the cities that made the list besides New York, Boston and D.C has a warm climate. The majority of the cities also would be considered more safe then Chicago.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:33 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,340,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
That list had Orlando on it. That alone means that its a bunch of BS.

mas23
Well said. Orlando has like 200,000 residents. that's like Austin and Lakeview combined.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:37 PM

194 posts, read 1,207,496 times
I wouldn't get too upset about that list, the only list Orlando should be on is cities to avoid. I despise that place. I have to make a list it would be very different but I'm all about American history.

1. NYC is tops no matter what
2. Boston - love the history and the food
3. Chicago - never been but I am dying to go
4. Philly - I hate most of its inhabitants but the city has its qualities
5. DC - Can't ignore the significance of the place
6. San Francisco - again never been but it just seems like a neat place

the rest in no particular order

7. Detroit - Most people probably think but I love anything indust. rev./ rust belt stuff
8. Charleston
9. Pittsburgh
10. Louisville/Memphis/Nashville - never been to any of them but all sound interesting

Old 01-14-2011, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
Like a crappy version of examiner.com?
Yes, exactly!

Old 01-14-2011, 09:42 AM

3,647 posts, read 8,357,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Well said. Orlando has like 200,000 residents. that's like Austin and Lakeview combined.
Exactly

After a person reaches at least 12 years old Orlando should not be considered an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago