Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 06:00 PM

100 posts, read 409,497 times

Advertisements

Best Cities For Jobs - Forbes.com

Yeah and I am pretty sure every person who comes here is interested in jobs in the IT field. Most local newspapers are bias too. Chicago came at #82 at overall job outlook. The economy is bad in Chicago, so gallo maybe you should not let your own personal experiences and generalizations blind you from what is really going on. Unlike you I am pretty sure I am an OC (original chicagoan) and I think I realize what is wrong with the city :/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 06:54 PM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,628,682 times
If you look at the top 30 cities on the poll, probably 90% are in the sun belt. Why? because people are moving there.

But what kind of jobs are we talking about here? Housing industry jobs? Service industry jobs?

Chicago is a major financial center and is home to a few of the top companies in the USA. I agree that it's not all roses (we certainly lost our fair share of manufacturing jobs)--but I'd rather be here than Jacksonville (at #3).

Old 07-10-2007, 07:56 PM

148 posts, read 768,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdz View Post
If you look at the top 30 cities on the poll, probably 90% are in the sun belt. Why? because people are moving there.

But what kind of jobs are we talking about here? Housing industry jobs? Service industry jobs?

Chicago is a major financial center and is home to a few of the top companies in the USA. I agree that it's not all roses (we certainly lost our fair share of manufacturing jobs)--but I'd rather be here than Jacksonville (at #3).
Thank you.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:35 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,873,382 times
Chicago has plenty of jobs. Depends on how much you wanna make and what you do.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:55 PM

148 posts, read 768,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenourtv View Post
Best Cities For Jobs - Forbes.com

Yeah and I am pretty sure every person who comes here is interested in jobs in the IT field. Most local newspapers are bias too. Chicago came at #82 at overall job outlook. The economy is bad in Chicago, so gallo maybe you should not let your own personal experiences and generalizations blind you from what is really going on. Unlike you I am pretty sure I am an OC (original chicagoan) and I think I realize what is wrong with the city :/
I’ll say this and that's it as I do not want to start any trouble.

I can go on and on and pick apart the study you provided and what you said, but frankly I don’t have that kind of time, so I will try to keep this brief.

First, I am in no way, shape, form letting personal experiences and generalizations blind me from what is really going on.

Second, whether someone is an original Chicagoan or not has no relevance what so ever on the subject.

Third, please don’t only respond to only me as Steve-0 provided the exact same response. I was trying to offer a suggestion that perhaps you were looking narrowly at the subject. Xenourtv, did you look at the articles Steve-O provided?

Fourth, the overwhelming majority of posters on the Chicago/Illinois forum seem to think that Chicago’s economy/job market is doing very well. Are all these people wrong? Is everyone bias? Are all of them missing what you are seeing?

Fifth, experts, economists, TV shows, national newspapers, local newspapers in other cities, magazines, and people in general - whether they be on the internet or you talk to them on the street - all point out that Chicago’s economy is doing well. Are they wrong too? Are they “bias” like the local newspapers? OK, LOL. Now this whole thing is just getting silly.

The study clearly states that “we don't focus on which areas are best for specific careers.” Again, this ties exactly into what mdz has posted. A lot of these jobs that have propelled these areas to the top of the “best cities for jobs list” are housing industry jobs and service industry jobs.

Do service industry jobs and blue-collar jobs point to a strong, solid economy? The answer is usually no.

What’s more, the vast majority of these places atop the list you point to are considered to be so-called “boom towns.” I’m not saying that these places will fall apart in the near future, however, is it highly unlikely that they will keep this incredibly high rate of population and economic growth over the long term.

Chicago’s economy is big, diverse, powerful, wealthy, and right now is doing very well.

In all honesty xenourtv, for every article you point to that says Chicago’s economy is awful I can provide ten that says it is booming.

Let’s look at some facts, Chicago has seen over 200 skyscrapers built in the last five or so years. Currently, Chicago has two 1000’ skyscrapers under construction. Another skyscraper, which will be the world’s tallest residential tower and tallest tower in North America at 2000’, has been proposed, approved, and is awaiting construction – the developer is from Ireland - it is a world-renowned project. Chicago has the fourth highest amount of fortune 500 companies in the U.S. by a solid amount, including some that recently relocated to the area. Chicago was just nominated by the United States as its bid city to host the 2016 summer Olympics (many think they have an excellent shot of getting it). The metro Chicago area continues to see a steady, stable population increase. The cost of living in the region is steadily increasing. The city of Chicago is experiencing unprecedented gentrification. I can keep going but I better stop. All of these things point to an extremely healthy economy.

OK, maybe Chicagoland is not the best place for someone who works in the service industry right now, or for someone who does blue-collar work. But for management and professionals it is absolutely booming right now.

There is a lot of growth and change that has been taking place in/around Chicago as of late. Chicago is definitely becoming more expensive. I’ll go on limb here and guess that you long for the way things used to be?

Thanks.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:59 PM

8 posts, read 45,178 times
I agree, the job market in chicago is great. However,a good paying job maybe hard to find if you don't have any skills. The assembly line jobs are getting harder to find. Overall, it is a very livable city. It is a shining beacon in an otherwise depressed rustbelt. Temping is an option, but it may not pay enough to suvive out here with a family long term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago