Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2010, 03:32 PM

5 posts, read 12,923 times

Advertisements

Is Chicago a good place to live?
I would like to live downtown. What's the best area downtown to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 09:50 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,243,287 times
Whether it's a good place to live depends on what you want out of a city. The question is too broad to answer meaningfully.

I don't understand "what's the best area downtown to live." The best area to live in downtown is downtown.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:43 PM

3,697 posts, read 5,004,201 times
Yeah it is next to impossible to give a good answer without a where do you plan to work and what do you expect out of a neighborhood. If you are expecting single family homes in downtown Chicago you would be disappointed and if you need to drive around or be in the far burbs downtown again might not be a good spot.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:14 PM

21 posts, read 40,052 times
Could I have a few opinions on the winter season in Chicago please? I know that it gets cold, but I believe there is a difference between cool, crisp, and down right cold. I have been told everything from "the winter is 8 months long" to "the really cold months are only January and February". What are your opinions? Let me put it this way, last week (the week before Thanksgiving) I would not consider cold as the weather was the same as where I am now during that week.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:25 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,729,934 times
It was unseasonably warm for a few days before Thanksgiving. Chicago is cold period. It is far colder and more snowy than the East Coast. Usually 50 degree weather by October, 35 degree by Thanksgiving. December is about the same. January and February are the 2 coldest months. Starts to warm up by March. March will see 60 degree days on average. April 70 degree days.

By May maybe a few 90 degree days, usually low 80s. June, July, August can see triple digits. September starts to get into the 60s, maybe even 50s.

Nights are frigid from mid October to mid April.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:28 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,243,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4mee View Post
Could I have a few opinions on the winter season in Chicago please? I know that it gets cold, but I believe there is a difference between cool, crisp, and down right cold. I have been told everything from "the winter is 8 months long" to "the really cold months are only January and February". What are your opinions? Let me put it this way, last week (the week before Thanksgiving) I would not consider cold as the weather was the same as where I am now during that week.
Well, it's already been down in the teens this season, and it's in the 20s right now. The average high in winter is in the low to mid 30s. But weather can vary considerably. There will be some days in winter that hit the 50s and even the 60s, and there will be some days when it never gets above zero. The "8 months of winter" thing is nonsense unless you're one of those people who considers 50s and 60s to be winter weather. Around here, once it hits the mid-60s or so, people start wearing shorts.

"60 degrees on average" in March is very, very optimistic. The average March high is 45 degrees. We'll hit 60s occasionally toward the end of March. At the beginning, we may well still get a snowstorm or two. IMO March is the suckiest month because you're really tired of cold weather by then but it's still not "warm" yet.

Old 11-28-2010, 01:10 AM

3,697 posts, read 5,004,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
By May maybe a few 90 degree days, usually low 80s. June, July, August can see triple digits. September starts to get into the 60s, maybe even 50s.

Nights are frigid from mid October to mid April.
My experince is nights are still nippy in May but not friged. You definatly want a windbreaker for May nights. June usually isn't triple diget. However July and August can be. May also rarely gets into the 90ies usually tops out in the high 80ies.

If is isn't rainy May can be nice in the day. June is the first totaly warm month both day and night. April can either be snow on the ground or people in shorts.

Cool and crisp is October maybe Novemeber. By late November/December it is cold. November is heavy jacket weather and late December is heavy coat weather.

It can and often does get as low as -3F(sometimes lower) in winter with windchills of -20. However Chicago's winter isn't constant cold more freeze/thaw but thoose freezes can last a week or two(sometimes more).

Last edited by chirack; 11-28-2010 at 01:20 AM..

Old 11-28-2010, 02:30 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,342,471 times
November or December to March are the cold months. Anyone who thinks any of the months outside of those are cold or unbearable either did not grow up in this climate or is a wuss. Plain and simple.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:41 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,935,420 times
Average Weather for Chicago, IL - Temperature and Precipitation

Chicago winters are variable, imo. In terms of snow, sometimes we got a lot and other times not much. The temps are in the above graph. Dec, Jan, Feb are the cold months. The rest are quite bearable, imo. And even the three months mentioned are not as bad as places further north like Minneapolis or Green Bay for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: