Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 02:29 PM

955 posts, read 1,833,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lickylicky View Post
That is all cool and dandy but you avoided the question of why you moved to Schaumburg.
Because I am closer to some important family members and my employer moved the company out this way.

If that weren't the case, I would still be living in east Logan Square tooling around in my Ford motor company jalopy living like a free spirit. Just like always.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:34 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,761,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
I'll tell you what I can't comprehend: trolls.
Willie is no troll. He opened up a topic for discussion and the responses have been civil and interesting.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:39 PM

3,697 posts, read 5,000,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williepotatoes View Post
Because I am closer to some important family members and my employer moved the company out this way.

If that weren't the case, I would still be living in east Logan Square tooling around in my Ford motor company jalopy living like a free spirit. Just like always.
Also Logan square does not have major parking issuses.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
I'll tell you what I can't comprehend: trolls.
Oh c'mon you can add more to the discussion than that measly post. I realize being a Cleveland sports fan can contribute to a nasty case of acute curmudgeonry, but loosen up. We're havin' fun here and I'm learning a lot about peoples views and expectations of public transit.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:46 PM

4,669 posts, read 4,982,604 times
Quote:
Oh c'mon you can add more to the discussion than that measly post. I realize being a Cleveland sports fan can contribute to a nasty case of acute curmudgeonry, but loosen up. We're havin' fun here and I'm learning a lot about peoples views and expectations of public transit.
OK, maybe you're not a troll, but you are trolling. Whatever, I've done it too. And I did take ride in a friend's car to Lakeview this past Sunday to watch the Browns, so I'm actually not feeling very curmudgeonly today. Because of the game, not the car ride.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Also Logan square does not have major parking issuses.
That's why I would never live in any city neighborhood where there was an untenable parking situation. spontaneous and free mobility are too important to me. Living in LS gave me relatively easy access to all my play spots and interests in center city as well as the outlying areas. And I still had reasonable parking at home thanks to residential permitting.

And we did have a parking problem developing on my block in the early 90's. We petitioned for residential parking restrictions and pretty much lived happily ever after. Or at least til I moved in '99.

Old 11-08-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
And we did have a parking problem developing on my block in the early 90's. We petitioned for residential parking restrictions and pretty much lived happily ever after. Or at least til I moved in '99.
Parking restrictions work well for most parts of the city. My area has a few because a local university does not have enough parking (and charges for it) and the spillover became a problem.

My street does not becuase the school across the street means nobody on one side of the street needs parking after 6pm and the school itself has enough parking for teachers.

However for Lincoln Park and lakeview they don't work. The land value got so high that the whole block could be duplexes and three flats without garages. Imagine what that does to parking.

Old 11-08-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
That was back when you'd ride the Madison St. or Jackson Blvd.
That's another thing that surprises me. Just how many bus routes are gone and how few have all night service. Twas a time not long ago that bus routes ran parallel about every four blocks and even less sometimes. I rode the Jackson bus downtown many times as a small kid. It was a short walk from our digs on Adams street and my grandparents swore it was just as fast as the el.

How did the tires, shocks and springs hold up on that Corvair? I'm sure you collected gas money from those ogres, but did you start up a suspension fund too?

Old 11-08-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
That's another thing that surprises me. Just how many bus routes are gone and how few have all night service. Twas a time not long ago that bus routes ran parallel about every four blocks and even less sometimes. I rode the Jackson bus downtown many times as a small kid. It was a short walk from our digs on Adams street and my grandparents swore it was just as fast as the el.

How did the tires, shocks and springs hold up on that Corvair? I'm sure you collected gas money from those ogres, but did you start up a suspension fund too?
I used to live on Adams street and have ridden the Jackson downtown. From where I used to live Jackson took 45 mins to get downtown. The green line took about 20-25. The blue line 15. Driving could take 15 if no traffic but 30 minutes of misery if there was. Before they fixed the green line the green line took about 30 mins to get downtown so it was just as fast as the el if you took the time it took to walk(or bus) from lake street to adams in consideration.

Old 11-08-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
OK, maybe you're not a troll, but you are trolling. Whatever, I've done it too. And I did take ride in a friend's car to Lakeview this past Sunday to watch the Browns, so I'm actually not feeling very curmudgeonly today. Because of the game, not the car ride.
Well I've always pulled for the Browns because my family originally hailed from Erie PA. In the 60's, if a Browns game was telecast it was a big event at my house. Although I am a Bears fan, I still consider Art Modell to be a greedy serpent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago