Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 10:14 AM

5,993 posts, read 13,189,857 times

Advertisements

Its obviously very well known, that Chicago has attracted huge numbers of young people in their 20s and 30s from Michigan and Ohio for probably over 30years.

Even though Michigan and Ohio are the only other midwestern states that have a total population that comes close to Illinois population, the population of Michigan and Ohio are spread out enough in several smaller metros areas, none of which have the critical mass and opportunities of Chicago:

Illinois: 12.5 million
Ohio: 11.5 million
Michigan: 10 million
Indiana: 6.2 million
Wisconsin: 5.8 million
Minnesota/Missouri: about 5 million each
Iowa: 2.9 million

But heres the thing: you have people from those states that love Chicago because of what it offers, but do you think, that collectively that all the young educated people from those states are themselves, are a major force responsible for the revitalization and rejuvenation of Chicago over the past 25years?

Is it possible that without all the good high schools of the cities and suburbs of Ohio and Michigan, and all the great universities of those states (as well as the other big ten in the other states) are themselves fuel the white collared transition that Chicago experienced over the last generation.

In other words, even though Chicago is a large enough city that it does its own thing and seems independent of the region, would Chicago be what it is today, without all the skills and talents that come out of Ann Arbor, and East Lansing, and Columbus, and Madison, etc.etc?

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 10:20 AM

1,728 posts, read 4,741,715 times
To be honest, the number of transplants from the rest of the Midwest is not a high number of Chicagoans. I don't have statistics on this, but at least from the majority of American transplants I have met in the suburbs, most tend to be from New York.

The transplants from the Midwest I have met tend to be concentrated downtown and the north side. A lot of them move to Chicago in their 20s and are gone by their late 20s and early 30s. Few of them remain for various reasons; job pressures, wanting to go home, marriage, etc.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
To be honest, the number of transplants from the rest of the Midwest is not a high number of Chicagoans. I don't have statistics on this, but at least from the majority of American transplants I have met in the suburbs, most tend to be from New York.

The transplants from the Midwest I have met tend to be concentrated downtown and the north side. A lot of them move to Chicago in their 20s and are gone by their late 20s and early 30s. Few of them remain for various reasons; job pressures, wanting to go home, marriage, etc.
Really?? I guess you and I have had different experiences.

I've hardly met anyone from New York!

And all the Ohions (Clevelanders/Cinncinatians, etc.)and Michiganders (metro Detroiters/Grand Rapidsites) I've met are planning on staying. I think it might be different for Iowans, or even downstaters (I know much fewer of them) because because they come from more rural environments than people from Ohio and Michigan.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:42 AM

1,728 posts, read 4,741,715 times
I am curious to see how many plan on staying versus how many actually stay. If employment expectations occur, if they find a significant other, if they want to move to the suburbs or not. What I have seen is that many transplants in their early 30s begin to move on once their friends from Chicago get married and move to the burbs.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
I am curious to see how many plan on staying versus how many actually stay. If employment expectations occur, if they find a significant other, if they want to move to the suburbs or not. What I have seen is that many transplants in their early 30s begin to move on once their friends from Chicago get married and move to the burbs.
OK. But they do stay in the metro area.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:29 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,733,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
...But heres the thing: you have people from those states that love Chicago because of what it offers, but do you think, that collectively that all the young educated people from those states are themselves, are a major force responsible for the revitalization and rejuvenation of Chicago over the past 25years?...
No, they are a small part of it, but the major force has been the children of suburbanites that moved into the city. Many of these kids parents were born and raised in the city. Also, more often than not, these parents wealth has been passed down to the children who then brought money into the city. These people are in the area for the long term. Most transplants are not.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
OK. But they do stay in the metro area.
Not very many that I have seen. Most people I have known over the years that were transplants moved on after a couple of years and a vast majority moved back to their home state or to another state other than Illinois.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:50 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,992,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Not very many that I have seen. Most people I have known over the years that were transplants moved on after a couple of years and a vast majority moved back to their home state or to another state other than Illinois.
That's not my experience. Here in Oak Park, maybe half or so of the adults are originally from out of state. They generally moved to Chicago after college, usually in LP, LV, or WP, paired up after a few years, and moved to OP for decent schools. Out in the far western burbs where I work, its a bit less than a half, maybe a quarter to a third, but still plenty of non-natives.

Obviously anytime you have well-educated young adults moving to Chicago and settling down, its a good thing for the metro area.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:58 PM

I guess we know different people. Most people that I know that came to Chicago from Detroit suburbs, Grand Rapids, Ohio cities, etc. specifically came here for career opportunities and don't have any real plans to move back because of the lack of good professional opportunities in theri metro areas.

On a side note: Many of those Michigan and Ohio transplants often came from well-off families. For a while Oakland County north of Detroit was one of the wealthiest counties in the country. And even with the economic problems there, it still is up there.

Those two states have the some highest ratios of good educational opportunities to actual career opportunities for after college of anywhere in the country that I can think of.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
That's not my experience. Here in Oak Park, maybe half or so of the adults are originally from out of state...
That may be true, but the OP is talking about the city itself, not the suburbs.

And the fact that many of these people you speak of moved out of the city (even if it is to Oak Park) that gives my statement some validity even from your experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago