Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 01:09 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,885,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Your old-school politesse is mind boggling to many of the posters here.
I'm going to guess Tom isn't the kind of guy who is blocking the left side when there is literally an avalanche of people who clearly are trying to get by.

I see this a lot, and anecdotally/based on where I live, I'm pretty certain it's immigrants usually doing this.

They of course don't know better (although this does raise the issue of why can't they simply have a sign), but the gripe is directed to those people who just don't seem to give a flying f***. Like those people who saw they couldn't through an intersection before the light changed, yet they decided to go and block traffic anyway (I see this almost every morning as I head east on Ohio Street at LaSalle, or maybe it's Clark).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 08:41 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,209,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Why the passive-aggressive act? A simple "excuse me" will move people over; it works fine with me when I block the left side.
Well that sounded more intense than it is - I'm not aggressive to them. I just don't sheepishly walk up the escalator and then stop a few steps down. I keep marching up until I get right up to them, then stop. Normally that draws their attention that someone is there, then they take notice of what's going on and move.

I don't threaten them or anything Especially if it's a naive tourist who just never stopped to think about what's going on. For most people who don't use an escalator every day, it's something you'll find in a large shopping mall. In those environments hardly anyone walks up the escalator - you're in leisure mode.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:15 AM

269 posts, read 717,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE WHO STAND ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE ESCALATORS DURING RUSH HOUR?

All it takes is that one guy or gal to completely freeze up pedestrian movement, it's ridiculous. In other cities I've seen such wild concepts implemented as signs that say "Standees stay on the right."

/rant over
That used to drive me up a wall when some a-hole would do that at Clark & Lake stop... its almost as bad as people who carry on long and loud phone conversations on the bus.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:55 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,301,258 times
If people are walking on the left and on a collision course with me (because I'm always to the right when possible), I stop dead in my tracks, avoid eye contact, and pretend to be distracted by something. They tend to figure out what to do. It sets me back a few seconds, but it's worth avoiding the hassle of negotiation/dancing around each other.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppet123 View Post
That used to drive me up a wall when some a-hole would do that at Clark & Lake stop... its almost as bad as people who carry on long and loud phone conversations on the bus.
Or loud conversations in general. I don't know why people obsess over the phone part.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Why the passive-aggressive act? A simple "excuse me" will move people over; it works fine with me when I block the left side.
Some of us just aren't very vocal. We like to save our breath, if you will. It's nothing personal.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:00 PM

8,290 posts, read 23,117,756 times
You think the loop is bad try the mall, Cripes!!!

Old 11-06-2010, 09:23 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,071,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
You think the loop is bad try the mall, Cripes!!!
It's funny because this is true..

Although it does depend what mall. Orland Mall, for sure! Lincoln Mall, only around Christmas time.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:09 PM

8,290 posts, read 23,117,756 times
Any mall, it doesn't matter. Especially any mall that is divided like Woodfield.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:36 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,071,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lickylicky View Post
This is the city not the burbs bub.
What's your point? Would it be more pleasing to you if I referenced Ford City Mall instead?

Last edited by urza216; 11-07-2010 at 09:55 AM.. Reason: fixing typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: