Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 03:30 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times

Advertisements

I can vouch for the indie music scene here. Lots of indie venues such as Abbey Pub, The Note, Double Door, Subterranean, The Hideout, Schuba's, Empty Bottle, Beat Kitchen, Martyr's, Elbo Room, and probably more that I can't think of off the top of my head. Ever see the movie High Fidelity? It was filmed on location in Chicago. The Kinky Wizards CD release party, for instance, was filmed in The Double Door. Unfortunately, the famed Lounge Ax (where Rob meets Marie DeSalle [Lisa Bonet]) has since closed down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 06:38 AM

37 posts, read 186,682 times
Default Oooh, Indie Cred! Any rhythm sections available?

Hey Drover,

Man, actually that news about the music scene makes my heart sing! And to site a John Cusick film alone is tres fantastic! After all he is truly the great, "everyman" actor for his generation.

Of course John Candy is the all time greatest "everyman!"

Yes, I'm a failed indie rocker and musician. But I still have my FM dreams.

By the way, do you know any bassists or drummers looking to form a band? Even just to play out for fun. I delight in just strumming three chords to a 4/4 beat. If I do manage to gird my loins and move out there I would love to hook up.

Mercy buckets!

Old 07-17-2007, 08:09 AM

202 posts, read 270,929 times
Plenty of journeyman musicians...put out a craigslist feeler thread and see what you find.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:27 AM

37 posts, read 186,682 times
Hey There Scribbler,

Many thanks again.

Jon.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:52 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondotkom View Post
Hey Drover,

Man, actually that news about the music scene makes my heart sing! And to site a John Cusick film alone is tres fantastic! After all he is truly the great, "everyman" actor for his generation.
If you haven't watched High Fidelity yet, or if you haven't watched it recently, rent/borrow it. It portrays the independent music scene in Chicago and its adherents fairly accurately. You will actually find people like Rob, Dick and Barry skulking about in Wicker Park/Bucktown (where a good portion of the movie is set) and in many of the various little venues mentioned above.

This is, after all, the town that launched Smashing Pumpkins, Fall Out Boy, Wilco, Rachael Yamagata (though now based out of NYC, she was discovered here while fronting for Bumpus), Poidog Pondering, and others. Current up-and-comers to keep an eye on: Swizzle Tree, The Assembly, and especially Animate Objects.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:22 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,802,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
If you haven't watched High Fidelity yet, or if you haven't watched it recently, rent/borrow it. It portrays the independent music scene in Chicago and its adherents fairly accurately. You will actually find people like Rob, Dick and Barry skulking about in Wicker Park/Bucktown (where a good portion of the movie is set) and in many of the various little venues mentioned above.

This is, after all, the town that launched Smashing Pumpkins, Fall Out Boy, Wilco, Rachael Yamagata (though now based out of NYC, she was discovered here while fronting for Bumpus), Poidog Pondering, and others. Current up-and-comers to keep an eye on: Swizzle Tree, The Assembly, and especially Animate Objects.
If you want to get technical...St. Louis started Uncle Tupelo, which later broke up into Son Volt and Chicago based Wilco.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:53 AM

3 posts, read 6,927 times
I am a true Chicagoan!!!! I love this city!! bad or fair weather and all. We are one of the most culturally diversed cities to live in. Even though we have the reputation of being the most segregated. We have the best food, music and art around. Come visit before you move here and just like my favorite chicken slogan, "One Bite and We Got Cha!" One weekend and we got cha!

Old 07-20-2007, 12:07 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post

Hey, you forgot Chevelle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago