Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 03:33 PM

51 posts, read 107,364 times

Advertisements

I need a place with at least 325sf in one room and then enough other room for me and my roommates to live normally. I've found places, but they are few and far between. That's why I ask about different areas, because I look over the whole city. It's the apartments and spaces that I follow. I found a great former storefront with a back apt., but it was already taken. I almost got a good rental house, but the guy was so ignorant about Social Security that I ended up loosing it. It's been a very hard search, but it's necessary.

There is a place I may check out. There is no address or intersection. It's in "Brighton/Mckinley Park" I know Mckinley is west of Bridgeport and south of Pilsen. It was listed here before as an OK area. Is it safe? I don't know what Brighton is. Is that West or South of Mckinley, and is it safe? I consider Bridgeport safe, but haven't been there much. I have been in west pilsen a lot, and like that area, and find it safe (no place it 100% safe of course, but generally).

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 04:46 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Brighton Park is west of McKinley Park. Brighton Park is kind of marginal but livable (for now anyway). McKinley Park is the safer of the two. If you end up east of the railroad tracks you're in McKinley Park; west of the tracks you're in Brighton Park.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:24 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,293,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mental View Post
What I need is Size more than a great neighborhood. I need a large live/work area. If you read my previous posts you'll see why. I don't want to live that far south or west, but if it's safe and I found a large place in my budget I would do it. I need as many sf as possible.
If you want size than you are going to have to sacrifice safety. I've never heard of anyone getting a huge place in Chicago at a super cheap rate in a very safe neighborhood. Doesn't exist, unless you are renting from a generous and close relative.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:16 PM

When you say "the train tracks" which train do you mean, are you talking about a metra or is there a big railway park there somewhere?
Thanks

Old 12-05-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
If you want size than you are going to have to sacrifice safety. I've never heard of anyone getting a huge place in Chicago at a super cheap rate in a very safe neighborhood. Doesn't exist, unless you are renting from a generous and close relative.
It's possible to find safety and affordability. But you'll be giving up convenience.

Quote:
When you say "the train tracks" which train do you mean, are you talking about a metra or is there a big railway park there somewhere?
Thanks
There's a set of railroad tracks just west of Western Avenue. I don't want to give the impression that there is a drastic difference the minute you cross the tracks, just that McKinley Park is statistically the safer of the two neighborhoods. You should be OK as long as the apartment is within a couple blocks of the tracks.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:55 PM

The more I read Craigslist the more rip off ads/rent to own ads there seems to be. It also feels like there are less real classified ads. Is there another site or paper that's as good or better to use to look for apartments, rental homes, and possible live in commercial spaces? The Reader has far fewer ads than it used to. Maybe the holidays have cut down on the real ads, but the fake ones seem so numerous now, much more than before.
Thanks

Old 12-06-2010, 04:30 PM

How is the area around DIVERSEY AND HAMLIN? Also, what neighborhood is it?
Thanks

Old 12-06-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
How is the area around DIVERSEY AND HAMLIN? Also, what neighborhood is it?
Thanks
Alas, the thread has come full circle. Diversey and Hamlin is the northwest corner of Logan Square (possibly the southwest corner of Avondale, depending on which side of Diversey it's on). A small step above Humboldt Park.

Now sign a freaking lease and be done with it. Either that or start doing your own research on neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago