Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2010, 08:33 AM

57 posts, read 171,121 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am graduating in May and will probably get a job making about 38,000. I am a 24 yr old female, single, and looking for somewhere safe. Is this enough money to live comfortably? Or should I just cross Chicago off of my list? Also should I take a car? And most importantly, What are the main differences between Lakeview and Lincoln Park? I am looking for nightlife, shopping, and things to do in the area.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 10:20 AM

1,728 posts, read 4,727,465 times
That is plenty of money for a single 24 year old female. Lakeview is north of Lincoln Park and includes Wrigleyville. Lakeview is less expensive and a little further from downtown and the Loop. Lakeview in parts has difficult highway access. Lakeview is also easier to park your car, especially on side streets. Lincoln Park has more of the "in crowd" or "the scene" type nightlife, but the crowds tend to be upper 20s and early 30s. 1 bedrooms can be found in both for $1000 and studios for $800. You will be ok.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:35 PM

5,981 posts, read 13,121,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetkisses4511 View Post
Hi,
I am graduating in May and will probably get a job making about 38,000. I am a 24 yr old female, single, and looking for somewhere safe. Is this enough money to live comfortably? Or should I just cross Chicago off of my list? Also should I take a car? And most importantly, What are the main differences between Lakeview and Lincoln Park? I am looking for nightlife, shopping, and things to do in the area.
Thanks
$38,000 is certainly enough to live comfortably as a single person, but less so for a family. Keep in mind when I say comfortable, you definitely have to watch your spending but you can still enjoy the city. There are wide range of neighborhoods of varying price levels.

If you live along the north lakefront (which includes Lincoln park and lakeview) having a car would be a hassle and a burden. Especially since you can always rent a car through I-Go.

Lincoln Park has more swanky vibe, whereas Lakeview is a more "sporty" vibe. Lincoln Park, (especially right by the park and some older homes by Depaul and Old Town) have a bit of an older demographic, whereas Lakeview is a bit more monolithically 20-somethings. Both are similar and blend into one another, but Lakeview is described as a bit more "post-collegiate frat" fee; to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: