Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2007, 12:27 PM

5 posts, read 20,131 times

Advertisements

Hi this is my first time on this site but my mothere uses this site all the time and suggested that i use it. well i am a junior entering my senior year of high school. I am planning to attend a college in chicago this year either roosevelt university or columbia university and i am wondering if it is a good idea to move from new jersey all the way to chicago alone . i wanted to know mostly about the demographics of chicago if anybody can help me out that would be nice thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 01:06 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonnie View Post
Hi this is my first time on this site but my mothere uses this site all the time and suggested that i use it. well i am a junior entering my senior year of high school. I am planning to attend a college in chicago this year either roosevelt university or columbia university and i am wondering if it is a good idea to move from new jersey all the way to chicago alone . i wanted to know mostly about the demographics of chicago if anybody can help me out that would be nice thank you
Chicago has the type of demographics you'd expect of a world-class American metropolis: extremely rich and extremely poor and pretty much everything in between; clusters of young professionals; clusters of families; safe & quiet neighborhoods and bombed-out ghettos (sometimes side-by-side); black neighborhoods, white neighborhoods, Hispanic neighborhoods, Asian neighborhoods; five-star restaurants and greasy-spoons. I'm not sure which part of Jersey you're from, but for the sake of comparison, Chicago is approximately 40% of the size of NYC, and approximately twice the size of Philly.

If your primary concern is finding people your own age, well, if you're attending college you'll have a built-in social network the moment you arrive. However, there is a major difference between the "traditional" college experience and the Columbia or Roosevelt college experience: in a "traditional" setting, students tend to stay clumped together on or near a generally self-contained campus with several buildings spread out and nice big lawns between the buildings and walking paths through campus and what-not. Well, Columbia's and Roosevelt's "campuses" are tucked among the highrises and skyscrapers of Chicago's legal and financial district. Their campuses are vertical rather than horizontal, and they are not self-contained oases set apart from their surroundings. Students generally do not "hang out" at these campuses. They take a train or bus to campus, sit through lecture, maybe go study at the library, and then take a train or bus home. I believe Columbia has a dormatory building, but it's just not the same as living on a traditional campus. Just wanted to give you an idea of what to expect.

Last edited by Drover; 06-29-2007 at 01:51 AM.. Reason: Removed orphaned comment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: