Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 11:08 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times

Advertisements

I usually never say the Stevenson for some reason. I have yet to use names Reagan or Jane Addams. I am not sure I ever will.

Most of the other names I use on a regular basis unless talking to someone that would get confused by the names.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 01:47 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
Well, folks versed in the interstate highway system know that routes with odd numberrs are north-south and the even-numbered ones go east-west. Except in Chicago where I-55 goes west and I-90/94 goes north-south. Go figure.

Some names should not be considered descriptive, like South Chicago Avenue, which is not Chicago ave turned south; but south Hyde Park Blvd. is H-P turned south. Western and North are just names, not identifiers of where they are, like Eastlake. My favorite, however, is South East Water St. I know where the street is but as a direction, where would that be?

Old 06-29-2008, 04:09 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Yeah, the redundancy of an address on South Chicago Avenue (for instance "8530 S. South Chicago Avenue") is kind of silly. So is having a street named Chicago Avenue and a street named South Chicago Avenue.

Then there's that brainiac city Decatur which has two Main Streets. And they actually intersect each other. Or Atlanta, which has approximatly 854 streets with variations on the name "Peachtree."

Old 06-29-2008, 04:38 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Well, folks versed in the interstate highway system know that routes with odd numberrs are north-south and the even-numbered ones go east-west. Except in Chicago where I-55 goes west and I-90/94 goes north-south. Go figure.
Yeah, the 90/94 stuff still confuses me, even though I've lived near 90 and 94 for almost my entire life. But each of them are two of the longest east/west routes in the U.S., so I guess Chicagoans are just a small part of the equation.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:14 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,183,871 times
Quote:
Interstate directions don't change in each city. So, I-55 connects Chicago, up north, with New Orleans, down south. Hence, it's a north-south interstate. I-94 connects Detroit, in the east, with Billings, in the west, and I-90 connects Boston, in the east, with Seattle, in the west. Therefore, they are both east-west interstates.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:26 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
The traffic report really was the most daunting thing about moving to Chicago. Only now do I usually know what's going on!

What's hard is that often just knowing what names correspond to what highway isn't enough.

Like when they say that the Edens is 65 minutes from Lake Cook to Kennedy junction... that really only helps you if you know where both of those points are. If you don't you have no idea how bad traffic is on that road, because those points could be 5 or 500 miles apart LOL!

Old 06-30-2008, 09:06 PM

190 posts, read 982,374 times
Am I mistaken or is the 290 also sometimes referred to as the "Congress?"

Old 06-30-2008, 11:00 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,850 times
I've heard that before. Maybe because it terminates into Congress?

Old 06-30-2008, 11:13 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManheimMadman View Post
I've heard that before. Maybe because it terminates into Congress?
It was called the Congress Expressway at first because it was built in the middle of Congress Street (replacing it in many places) and Zig-Zagging through it.

That is also why the part of the Blue Line that runs in the middle of it is called the Congress Branch. That line replaced the Congress EL that ran above Congress St.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:33 PM

440 posts, read 1,502,622 times
Quote:
UIC, the University of Illinois at Chicago, was for years termed UICC, ie, the University of Illinois at Chicago Circle. They changed the designation because it was silly to have a college campus named after a nickname for an intersection, that nickname made up by radio traffic reporters.
Not so. UICC couldn't be UIC because the University of Illinois Medical Center Campus was in Chicago before Navy Pier. Remember, these were completely separate campuses of the U of I.

The shotgun marriage occured in 1981-82, creating the University of Illinois at Chicago we all know and love, and the first thing they did was go about getting rid of "Circle" and "Medical Center". Now its just "UIC", with the exception of U of I Hospital which ended up with the name "University of Illinois Medical Center".

The final vestiges of "Circle" and "Medical Center" were dropped in 2005, when in a fit of creative genius, the administration changed "Chicago Circle Center" and "Illini Union" (the former names for the student unions) to "Student Center East" and "Student Center West".

Despite the fact that its been 26 years, you will still occasionally hear people refer to UIC as "Circle", as well as some medical students in denial that they attend UIC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago