Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2007, 06:02 PM

1 posts, read 3,387 times

Advertisements

I just accepted a great job at a company located in Schaumburg very near the mall. I'm thrilled about relocating, apprehensive about choosing a community in which to live. Schaumburg isn't terribly appealing, but I don't want to make myself crazy with the commute. While I was job searching, I was sort of eyeballing the Irving Park area - would that be a realistic option at all? How long could I expect that commute to take? Or is living in the suburbs the only real option?

Also, am I correct in my assumption that there are no real options for taking mass transit to that location?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 06:12 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,404,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mella DP View Post
I just accepted a great job at a company located in Schaumburg very near the mall. I'm thrilled about relocating, apprehensive about choosing a community in which to live. Schaumburg isn't terribly appealing, but I don't want to make myself crazy with the commute. While I was job searching, I was sort of eyeballing the Irving Park area - would that be a realistic option at all? How long could I expect that commute to take? Or is living in the suburbs the only real option?

Also, am I correct in my assumption that there are no real options for taking mass transit to that location?
I lived in Crystal Lake,IL from 2002-2005 and worked on Golf Road Schaumburg.
Loved Crystal Lake but 60 minutes to go 25 miles was a good day.

I would suggest S.Elgin, Bartlett, and Arlington Heights if you can handle the housing prices there.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:29 PM

283 posts, read 1,384,516 times
Hoffman Estates is good.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:02 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,617,005 times
A commute every day from the city to S'burg would be a bummer.If you want more of a real "town" Hoffman estates is not it.You could try Arlington Hts,it has a nice "downtown" and lots going on it seems. Close to Ohare and has a metra to the city when needed

Old 06-26-2007, 07:06 PM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,620,172 times
It's going to be a tough slog from the Irving Park area, I'm thinking at least 45 minutes there and likely longer coming home. Taking mass transit to Schaumburg would probably be even worse--it can be done (visit the RTA website) but you'd be unhappy.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:08 PM

283 posts, read 1,384,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
A commute every day from the city to S'burg would be a bummer.If you want more of a real "town" Hoffman estates is not it.You could try Arlington Hts,it has a nice "downtown" and lots going on it seems. Close to Ohare and has a metra to the city when needed
What is wrong with Hoffman estates? It is right next to Schaumburg.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:13 PM

718 posts, read 2,688,883 times
Hoffmanman estates has always sort of been a red headed step child of the nw suburbs, kind of like hanover park but not as honky tonk(excluding north hoffman near inverness and s. barrington)

Old 06-26-2007, 07:17 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,617,005 times
If one is ok with sub divisions,4 lane roads and strip malls,then Hoffman Estates is fine.Someone interested in or used to city living would not be happy in that enviroment.(and I'm one of those red heads )

Old 06-26-2007, 11:33 PM

96 posts, read 647,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
I agree, Arlingoton Heights, even Buffalo Grove are better options. And yes, the "Downtown" Arlington Height is decent, good restaurants also

Old 06-27-2007, 05:31 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mella DP View Post

We live in Irving Park and my wife works right across the street from Woodfield Mall. The only thing that makes the commute bearable is that she only has to do it during rush hour half the time. If she had to do rush-hour all the time, she'd have gone on a murder spree by now. The days she leaves at 10am, she's there in half an hour or less. The days she leaves at 8am she's lucky to be there in an hour -- 1:15 is pretty realistic. The "reverse" commute on the Kennedy is actually worse than the standard-direction commute because you don't have the express lanes working in your favor. If you can tolerate 40 minutes' worth of stop-and-go followed by 20 minutes of free-flowing traffic, or better yet if you have the option to commute during off-peak hours, you're good to go. Another option would be to look further northwest such as Jefferson Park or Norwood Park/Oriole Park. Particularly Norwood Park/Oriole Park would cut about 20 minutes off your rush-hour commute time (and about 10 minutes off of a non-peak commute time) while still giving you easy access to the city for dining/entertainment/cultural attractions via the Blue Line L.

Public transit from Irving Park to Schaumburg is not a realistic option if you intend to reach your destination in less than two hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago